headspace question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsilf

Reaction score
I rack from my primary onto sorbate/campden in a bottling bucket. I then backsweeten and add my clearing agent. So my wine sits in the bottling bucket for 3 days.

If i do a 3 gal batch in a 5 gal bucket, is that 3 days long enough to ruin my wine?

I rack from my primary onto sorbate/campden in a bottling bucket. I then backsweeten and add my clearing agent. So my wine sits in the bottling bucket for 3 days.

If i do a 3 gal batch in a 5 gal bucket, is that 3 days long enough to ruin my wine?

"Ruin" is a strong word. I wouldn't say it won't "ruin" it, but it WILL "impact" the flavor of it. That's certainly enough time and headspace to cause the beginning of oxidation, even with the campden tablets. It will get worse with time, so if the wine is consumed young it shouldn't really be all that noticeable.

As an example, think of this. You open a bottle of wine with dinner, but only drink half. Pop the cork back in it, and drink it the next day. The wine will be markedly different, and definitely not the same wine you opened. Oxygen does that, and does it quickly.

When the wine has sulfites added, it does prevent oxygen from binding with the wine, at least for a very short period of time (say, 24 hours or so). But there is still plenty of oxygen available in a bucket with such a wide headspace.

If this was my wine, I'd rack to a carboy to stabilize. Wait three days or more, and then sweeten. And then wait three more days (at least) for the wine to clear and not start fermenting again, and then I'd rack to the bottling bucket and proceed with bottling.

So youre saying the effects of oxygen dont end in the bucket. They carry over into the bottles?

I use those cans of wine saver for the rare times I don't finish a bottle (usually a party where I've had a bit too much and another couple of glasses is a very bad idea). It works awesome. Has anyone tried this with a secondary with good results? I think it might work, would just have to use a greater amount. It would be like topping off a secondary with CO2.

Latest posts

Back