Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaviao

Reaction score
So I did a quick search on this forum and online but the results didn't come back as I had hoped... so here we are.

As I have stated before I am REALLY new to all of this so please excuse any stupid questions.

I really want to continue brewing over the summer but I am concerned about temperature control. I live in an upstairs apartment in an old house (late 1800s) in Michigan and it is not uncommon for it to get into the high 80s in my apartment.

The house has an unfinished basement that I was considering using, but it's a little gross down there and I'm not sure how cool it stays down there anyway.

Which brings me to the question at hand....

Should I consider a fermentation chamber or will I be okay for this summer?

If so what is the best way to accomplish this? I started looking into mini fridges but is that the best way? If I go the mini fridge route is there anything I should be looking for?......

In short I guess what I need is a decent rundown on fermentation chambers.

Sorry for the rambling rant.....

Thanks!:mug:

Several options:

Swamp cooler-cheapest but labor intensive, you can easily search this

Chest freezer or fridge or mini-easiest but requires an external temperature control thermostat like a Johnson's controller-most expensive option

Son of a fermentation chamber-mid price option but requires some DIY ability. Also may be easily searched on line with build directions

Swamp cooler is the most popular entry-level way to maintain your temps, but like duboman says, it's labor intensive.

I personally built a variation of the "mother of a fermentation chiller" (you can google it for plans), but like the son of a fermentation chiller, there is some do it yourself effort involved. That being said, I love mine.

If you have some money to blow, a chest freezer and temp controller are a really simple solution. Just plug it in and go. However it might set you back $250-$300, unless you can score a cheap used one.

As mentioned there are much cheaper ways, I'm just lazy, and laziness can be expensive.

Just out of curiosity it seems like the mini fridge is the last choice. Why is that? I found some used mini fridges on craigslist for pretty cheap so is there another reason that I'm missing? I'm not arguing for a mini fridge just curious, to be honest at this point I'm leaning towards the swamp cooler to start before graduating to a DIY fermentation chamber.

Thanks!

I took a mid sized mini fridge and built an insulated box around it, using the fridge, a dual stage temperature controller, a small 12VDC fan and a fermwrap, I can do 2 beers at once at different temperatures. I also built the box a good bit larger so I can use the dead space in it for keg and bottle storage. Its worked great so far.

I bought a stand up freezer on CL for $100. Now, I'm going to build a temperature controller using the ebay aquarium controller build found here on the forum for about 35-40 bucks. I don't think that is overly expensive....

I went the chest freezer route: hooked up a Ranco 2-stage controller and put a small heater with a built in fan inside the freezer. Chuck in a cup of damp rid and you're all done. For the work involved and the temp. precision I get, it can't be beat. I absolutely love it. You can save a few bucks by buying the freezer on Craigslist. I got a massive one for $150. Seems pricey, but the thing will hold 10 5 gallon carboys at once. You can also wire up the Ranco yourself, save a few bucks that way. There are very good instructions posted on HBT.

I have an old kegerator and just bought a controller. I don't see why it won't work just fine...it certainly gets cooler than ferm temps I use.

Back