Competition style question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleBrew

Reaction score
I'm planning to enter a saison I recently brewed into a local homebrew competition. The beer is around 7.4% ABV, but the BJCP style guidelines (which will be used for judging this competition) show saisons being in the 5-7% ABV range.

My question is, will my beer likely be accepted into the Saison category, even though it's just outside of the BJCP style range? Or will I be forced to enter it as a Belgian Specialty Ale? It's an AHA/BJCP sanctioned competition, so the OG and FG have to be disclosed. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, first know that what I'm about to write comes from a new brewer who has never entered a competition. That said, I'm planning on entering one in September, so have done just a little research on the subject.

It's my understanding that nothing at all will prevent you from entering any brew in any style category. Want to enter an Imperial Stout as a Koelsch? You can.

It'll score horribly though, even if it's the best Imperial Stout ever made, as it will fall out of the style guidelines by a wide margin!

You know your brew better than I do, that's for sure, but my advice to you is to look at the Saison guidelines and the Belgian Specialty Ale guidelines (as well as any other set of guidelines you think could potentially suit what you have brewed), and enter it in which ever of those categories you think your brew best fits.

Cheers!

While your OG/FG have to be disclosed on the entry form, the judges don't see it. They will judge it as a Saison if you enter it in that category.

While your OG/FG have to be disclosed on the entry form, the judges don't see it. They will judge it as a Saison if you enter it in that category.

I all the comps I've entered or judged, I've never had to list any stats for the beer. Some comps may ask for it but that's unusual.

I all the comps I've entered or judged, I've never had to list any stats for the beer. Some comps may ask for it but that's unusual.
Really? Don't most require the BJCP entry form that includes all the usual stas, brew date, fermentation schedule, carbonation level, and recipe.

Mongrel said:
Really? Don't most require the BJCP entry form that includes all the usual stas, brew date, fermentation schedule, carbonation level, and recipe.

I've never had to do that. Just beer name and style category entered.

I've entered an 8% abv saison into competition and had it place. If it tastes like a saison, it'll get judged like a saison.

What BJCP entry form? I don't recall ever seeing one. In 15 years of brewing, entering comps, running comps and judging, including final round at Nationals, I've never had to give that info, nor have I seen it.

It really depends on the competition as to what goes on the form. Most of the ones I've been involved with lately have just needed style/subcategory and then special ingredients/fruit/etc. for appropriate styles.

Also know that the beer is judged qualitatively, based on what the judges perceive. I don't know any judges who can taste a beer and tell you it's 7.4% vs 7.0%. You can generally pick up more body, more alcohol aroma, and a stronger alcohol warming sensation in bigger beers, but I wouldn't worry too much about it for the purposes of a competition unless it comes off particularly boozy when you taste it.

What BJCP entry form? I don't recall ever seeing one. In 15 years of brewing, entering comps, running comps and judging, including final round at Nationals, I've never had to give that info, nor have I seen it.

Me either. I've never seen an entry form except for some that are required to be attached via rubber band to the bottle with the style, name of the brewer, etc. We've never required any stats at all, including whether the recipe as AG or extract. The only time any thing is required is for a few styles where extra information is required, like 21A or 23. Those are clearly delineated, though.

Judges never see the OG/FG, recipe, ingredients (except as noted in specialty categories), etc.

If the beer tastes of high alcohol, it will be scored poorly. But if it's a nice saison, no one will be able to tell that it's 7.4% instead of 7.0%.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I thought it was strange that they wanted all of the brew details also. This is only the 3rd competition I've entered, but I haven't had to list stats for the last two. This particular competition requires that this form be completed:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_EntryRecipe.pdf

Still a new brewer who has never entered a competition, however....

I hope, as others have suggested, this is the exception instead of the norm.

I don't personally like the idea of disclosing one's recipe to the judges as I think this could bias their opinion of the entry.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I thought it was strange that they wanted all of the brew details also. This is only the 3rd competition I've entered, but I haven't had to list stats for the last two. This particular competition requires that this form be completed:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/BJCP_EntryRecipe.pdf

I guess it's a sign of how seldom that's used that I've never seen it.

Me either. I've never seen an entry form except for some that are required to be attached via rubber band to the bottle with the style, name of the brewer, etc. We've never required any stats at all, including whether the recipe as AG or extract. The only time any thing is required is for a few styles where extra information is required, like 21A or 23. Those are clearly delineated, though.

Judges never see the OG/FG, recipe, ingredients (except as noted in specialty categories), etc.

If the beer tastes of high alcohol, it will be scored poorly. But if it's a nice saison, no one will be able to tell that it's 7.4% instead of 7.0%.

HumbleBrew is getting asked for the same form I always get asked for. I don't know if the comps require all the info, but if they don't specify that they don't, I just fill the thing out.

I am not certain as to how current it is but the BJCP style app I have on my phone says strong versions of this style (6.5%-9.5%) should be entered as a Belgian Specialty Ale if you look in the comment section, for what it's worth.

Still a new brewer who has never entered a competition, however....

I hope, as others have suggested, this is the exception instead of the norm.

I don't personally like the idea of disclosing one's recipe to the judges as I think this could bias their opinion of the entry.
The judges don't get to see this form. They don't even get to see the paper labels you rubber band to your bottles.

Latest posts

Back