Single infusion mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobalt

Reaction score
Hey experienced brewers, I'm a noob and this is my first post on these forums. I've brewed only one other batch previous and am excited to pick knowledgeable brains, so please bear with me. What is a single infusion mash @ 150f? Is this steeping the grains? Thanks in advance.

Think of a single infusion mash as steeping your grains at a very specific temperature for a determined length of time (usually an hour). That is, when steeping grains with an extract recipe, you want to keep the steeping liquid somewhere between 150 and 170F for 15-30 minutes. When mashing, you want to keep the mash as close to that target temperature as possible (here, 150F) for a longer period of time.

What makes it a single infusion is that you are infusing water into the mash once in order to hit your target temp. It differs from a step mash in which you add successive infusions of hot/boiling water to raise the mash temp in steps, then hold the temp at those steps for a period of time.

Welcome to the hobby, and welcome to the community!

Thanks for the reply Carboyboy. Very informative. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Latest posts

Back