Will Whitelabs 001 work at 60F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JClinedinst

Reaction score
Just wondering if this yeast will work at 60F or if I should move my beer upstairs to where its 68-70? Made a starter and used 2 vials but not much activity in the carboy.

Right, ingredients list and all the fun stuffs.

OG was 1.090

DSvGdZD.png

It will work at that temp, yes. Some feel there are some different esters that activate at the lower range temps, but yes, it will ferment. Move it upstairs after it reaches FG. It will encourage a cleaning-up.

I'm currently using WLP001 for only the second time and finding it's pretty temp sensitive. If I get under 66F my blow off tube (bubbles) slows right down. When I bring the temp back up it springs right back to life. Certainly different than other strains I've used.

Robert
GypsyBrew
-Currently fermenting a BIG Indian Brown Ale

I would say you're at an advantage. I would let it slowly ferment at that temp, then towards the end move it upstairs so it can clean itself up like tre9er said. In my opinion, you get some very nice mouthfeel when you ferment that strain low. Most commercial breweries keep it low, then ramp it up at the end to clean up the beer.

-Aaron

It will work great, just a little slower. As others have said make sure the temp increases before the beer is fully attenuated.

Back