Pyment with sulfur smell... Can I carbonate it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VCTFernandes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just made a 1-gallon batch of a pyment made purely of grape juice and honey with a packet of k1v-1116 and a fair dose of nutrient and energizer added at innoculation.
My mistake was that it ended up being a very acidic must (pH = 2.8), the boys got stressed and started producing H2S (that delicious rotten egg smell).
I treated it with dolomite and the pH issue was solved. The smell endured, so I've been degassing it thoroughly and immersed a copper wire for some time. The smell has almost vanished and I believe it will be gone anytime now.

Question: the plan for this mead was to make a sparkling pyment. Should I do it or do I risk creating more h2s inside the bottles? Wouldn't be nice to have fart smell when the corks pop :D

This can also occur if Campden tablets (potassium metabisulfite), which contain sulfer, were used.

Do you have the ability to keg? Is so, you can degas the keg repeatedly which may remove the sulfur smell. Additionally, I know some people intentionally splash and/or oxygentate their mead/cider before bottling in an attempt to offgas some of the sulfer smell. I'm told that due to the lack of hops, this does not cause any off flavors.

Other than that, I'm not sure. Hope this helps, I'm no expert on this stuff.

No k-meta was used so I'm quite sure it's not that. Also, it's not an SO2 smell, it's definitely H2S. I smelled it today and it's almost undetectable, so I believe it's going to be fine.

Unfortunately, kegging isn't an option, but I will splash rack it when I have a free carboy (probably next week).

Back