Wyeast 1084 fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadilos

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Will be brewing my 3rd batch this weekend: NB's Irish Stout using 1084. Wyeast's recomended temp range is 62-72, and I was planning on fermenting in my basement that has an ambient temp of 60/61 right now. Will that be too cold for this yeast?

I plan to bring the carboy upstairs after it's done fermenting (hits it's FG) and let it sit for a few more weeks at 66-68 ambient in a closet.

Thoughts? And thank you in advance!

You could try it in the basement,but keep it off the floor. Like on a bench or something,& wrap a winter coat arounf it snugly. That might hold a couple degrees more to keep it in th eyeasts' lower ideal temp range. You have to think about ferment temps rising above that a couple degrees as well. So Wrapped up in the basement on a bench or something might keep the ferment temp in range.

Thanks for the response.

Do you think I'd be better off fermenting it upstairs with an ambient of 66/67 in a swamp cooler (plastic tub with water and rotating out soda bottles filled with ice)? If so, what temp should I shoot for on the temp strip on the carboy?

Thanks again!

Just cover it good in th ebasement. when the ferment temp goes up during initial fermentation,it'll still be within range.

Thanks. Will do. The knowledge on these forums for noobs really is priceless.

Back