Malted Cider still fermenting after 14 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvindc125

Reaction score
Recipe

1 gallon apple juice (no preservatives)
1 cup light DME golden malt.
16oz of Honey
1/4 tsp s04

Starting gravity 1.070

average temp is 68-70 degrees F

It peaked on about day 3 with steady bubbles from the airlock by day 7 about 1 bubble a minute. On day 14 you can still hear it fizzing lightly and its still bubbling about once ever 2-3 minutes.
Is it ok to rack to secondary at this point? Im guessing its taking its time because of the honey.

edit: I have not checked the gravity since it started. I may go ahead and rack to secondary and check the gravity. Cant imagine it being very high....It smells wonderful like apple beer.

You should be fine to rack to secondary. Even if it's not finished completely, it should be pretty darn close, and should be able to finish out okay in the next vessel.

I rarely have a brew that takes more that 7 days to reach FG, but I did have a cider once that took a full 3 weeks to finish out. Sometimes they're just slow. The only real way to tell is by taking hydro readings, I wouldn't depend on the airlock so much.

You should be fine to rack to secondary. Even if it's not finished completely, it should be pretty darn close, and should be able to finish out okay in the next vessel.

I rarely have a brew that takes more that 7 days to reach FG, but I did have a cider once that took a full 3 weeks to finish out. Sometimes they're just slow. The only real way to tell is by taking hydro readings, I wouldn't depend on the airlock so much.

Awesome. Thanks!

Back