Question about yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to buy yeast today and I will be brewing Friday or Saturday night. This is my second starter so I am a little ignorant with the timing since i have a weird work schedule.

I was going to make a starter today and leave it on the stir plate until Friday morning, is this too long? Is three days on the stir plate too long? Reason is because I go to work Wednesday morning and won't be home until Friday morning.

I have two other options....I can make the starter today and have my wife put it in the fridge after 24 hours. Will it be ok in the fridge for two days? My last starter I had it in the fridge for only 24 hours and it still turned out great. My next option is to wait until Friday morning to make the starter, ferment for 24 hours, then put it in the fridge for 12 hours until I start my brew Saturday night.

Any suggestions???

I don't think it's too long. I usually do about 48 hours on the plate, the yeast goes through the starter pretty quickly. Then I'll cold crash for another 36 hours or so. On brew day I'll take it out and decant. Let it come to room temp, then pitch when the wort is ready. I'll usually do my starter Tuesday night, crash it Thursday night when I get home from work. Brew on Saturday.

I don't think it's too long. I usually do about 48 hours on the plate, the yeast goes through the starter pretty quickly. Then I'll cold crash for another 36 hours or so. On brew day I'll take it out and decant. Let it come to room temp, then pitch when the wort is ready. I'll usually do my starter Tuesday night, crash it Thursday night when I get home from work. Brew on Saturday.

Ok so I ended up making my starter and its on the stir plate. Will it be ok for just under three days on the stir plate (Friday morning)? I will then put it in the fridge until I brew either Friday or Saturday night.

I think that should be fine. I did a starter last night too and plan to cold crash it Thursday night. I like to give it at least a 24 hour crash. Slainte!

I personally like the idea of your wife putting in the fridge. Starters normally only take 18 - 24 hours on a stir plate. Even better yet starting it Friday morning. And if you want to decant it, you don't need it in the fridge for 12 hrs.

Also, how big is the brew, how big is the starter?

Ok so I ended up making my starter and its on the stir plate. Will it be ok for just under three days on the stir plate (Friday morning)? I will then put it in the fridge until I brew either Friday or Saturday night.

I wouldn't leave it on the stir plate for more than 24 hours. It'll be done by then, there's no reason to keep stirring it needlessly for 2 more days.

There are 2 ways I'd do a starter:

• 14-16 hours before brewing, and pitch the whole starter at the high krausen; or
  • At least 5 days before brewing, and after 24 hours on the stir plate, cold crash for 3-4 days, then 2 hours before pitching (i.e., during mashing), decant the spent starter wort and leave the flask of yeast on the counter to slowly warm up to room temperature.

Doing it 1-4 days before pitching is too far in advance to catch it at high krausen, but not long enough to cold crash and decant spent wort.

I personally like the idea of your wife putting in the fridge. Starters normally only take 18 - 24 hours on a stir plate. Even better yet starting it Friday morning. And if you want to decant it, you don't need it in the fridge for 12 hrs.

Also, how big is the brew, how big is the starter?

It is an IPA with OG of 1.060, the starter is a 1.5 L starter. There are some good suggestions so far. I think I am leaning towards running the stir plate for 36 hours and then having my wife put it in the refrigerator.

You also have to decide whether you want to decant this or dump the whole thing in?

If decanting, then the 36 hrs -> fridge is fine.

If dumping the whole thing in -> start it Friday morning

Back