An *Almost* Perfect Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I brewed an Imperial version of Janet's Brown Ale yesterday. It was probably the most uneventful brew day so far. I hit my mash temps dead-on, finished exactly at the recipes OG, volume into fermenter was perfect. I thought I was quite the brewer...until this morning.

I recently purchased this thermometer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VXZVNG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I really prefer this type of thermometer over the hand-held. It has really improved my brew day. It monitors my mash temps, helps me avoid boil overs, and monitors my cooling.

I noticed some strange temperature readings during the brew day. I should have stopped the process to think about it.

This morning I realized my fancy thermometer was reading about 6 degrees too high. I am not sure when it started, but I think I mashed at 147 instead of 153. I might have just made a brown imperial ipa instead of an imperial american brown.

Lessons learned: Always verify your insturements and slow down when you see strange things (wort isn't boiling at 112 degrees!).

Just wanted to share some lessons learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a taylor thermometer awhile back and it read about 10 degrees off.

Bummer dude - although I bet the beer is still great. Had a similar thermometer mishap a while back - turns out i mashed at like 165. Doh! My current one reads a little high I think - need to get a backup.

Back