Not quite all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvirzi

Reaction score
As of now I do partial mashes. I would like to not use any malt extract anymore but am not quite able to get a full all grain set up. I was going to get a 10 gallon Cooler from HD. Could I just mash in there then transfer to kettle and maybe rinse grains and add that to kettle to boil. Noteven sure if this

Yes, you could do that!

You can "batch sparge" easily with that set up.

Here's a photo of my first AG set up. The only thing missing is the tubing on the ball valve. There is a false bottom in the cooler with a diptube.

4189-dscf0085-1-12007.jpg

I heated the water in the big pot for the mash, then drained it into the big pot while using the smaller pot to heat up the sparge water. You don't even need to do that- if you only have on big pot you can drain the wort into a bucket or something until your pot is empty. The reason I upgraded is just because I got tired of pouring hot water all the time, and wanted a pump.

It actually worked great, and made great beer!

fvirzi said:
As of now I do partial mashes. I would like to not use any malt extract anymore but am not quite able to get a full all grain set up. I was going to get a 10 gallon Cooler from HD. Could I just mash in there then transfer to kettle and maybe rinse grains and add that to kettle to boil. Noteven sure if this

This is all grain brewing. You are mashing, then collecting wort. If the false bottom is too expensive at this time you can use a kettle screen (also called bazooka screen) on the inside of the cooler with a brass ball valve setup on the outside of the cooler for draining. Do not use the factory installed spigot.

Back