Pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingB

Reaction score
I would like to make strawberry mead. I found a recipe that is quite simple, but not terribly detailed. It calls for pectic enzyme at what point does this get added?

Any time as long as its not during active fermentation. Something about fermentation inhibits it and it won't work. But before or after is just fine.

I've heard that alcohol also inhibits its action, so it's better added up front, before fermentation.

I added it 1 month before bottling and had no adverse effects. Waiting to add the pectic enzyme until the end in boiled fruit batch may also help with color retention. (An experiment I still plan on doing at some point.)

I usually just add it the night before I pitch the yeast. Always clears up pretty good.

It's recommended that it's used before fermentation for the most cost effective usage. Depending on the method you're using, it might be better to add it a couple of days or so before pitching the yeast (oh, and I believe it's killed off/retarded if you apply heating to a must that has had it added).

Equally, it seems that it can be used in batches that won't clear too, but the dosage suggested is twice to three times higher than if it's used before fermentation.

There is some anecdotal evidence that suggests it not only helps with pectins, but also colour and flavour extraction too, so use before fermentation would be helpful for that.......

Back