Mixed Berry. Blackberry cherry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egg7

Reaction score
I just got back to the States and want to warm back up to brewing. I found a real easy recipe in a book I have that calls for any 8 pound mix of berries you would like in the secondary fermenter. I'm leaning towards blackberry cherry. But I'm not sure on the ratio. Should I go 4 lbs of each or does one have a stronger flavor that I should be aware of. I'll probably use frozen because 4lbs of fresh blackberries is not wallet friendly. Any advice on using fruit in the secondary fermentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Egg7

The general guideline I've heard/used is 1 lb. of fruit per gallon of beer. For the raspberry saison that I make, I lower it a bit because raspberries have a pretty strong flavor. I use 3 lbs. per 5 gallons.

I bought fresh raspberries and froze them. And then let them thaw and racked on top of them in the secondary.

I've also heard the general rule of 1# of fruit per gallon. I used 5# of fresh cherries (pitted / frozen) did not pasteurize them. No problems but I had to buy some cherry extract and put 2 oz in at bottling. This year i'm going to ramp up the #'s of cherries if I get that much on my tree.

Latest posts

Back