Growing tips keeping breaking off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoolyBooger

Reaction score
I planted 4 rhizomes this year - 2 Centennial, 2 Columbus. Both varieties are about 2' tall. I'm training them to twine that zig-zags up a 10' tall arbor (this gives them approximately 25' to grow). The problem is that every time a bine starts to make decent progress climbing, the growing tip breaks off. This has happened twice on two different plants. Any ideas as to what is happening? Does it have anything to do with the diagonal trellis? It has been pretty windy, are they succeptible to breaking off in high winds?

That was happening to mine too. It's not good. It stunts the growth of the plant. I think you should trim it down to the nearest healthy leaf bundle and a new spire will grow from there. I stopped watering mine and got a drip hose. That seems to help a lot. Also sprayed them with neem oil and things seem to be progressing better. No more fungus and aphids.

I had a plant go back down damn near to the crown and it has come back to be my healthiest plant so far and has doubled in size in the last couple weeks. The others are starting to come back too.

It happens. Sometimes by wind, but usually when they get too long and have nothing to grab onto. Birds and squirrels are the worst culprits. I would look there first. Maybe put up something to scare them away. Shouldn't hurt anything in the long run though, they just grow more from the lateral buds when this happens, which is where the hops form anyway. Shouldn't decrease harvest any. This is your first year anyway, so as long as you get enough foliage to establish the crown you'll be fine.

Will Sevin dust repel snails and aphids? I have used it in the garden for a squash bug infestation with great results. I'd rather not use chemicals, but I really want these guys to do well and get established.

I wouldn't use sevin. If you do, wash it off after about a week. I have a feeling birds are landing on your lines and sevin won't help with that.

It could be witches. Do you have witches in the area?

Don't get too caught up with this. They're first year hops. Their main job is to establish their roots. You're not likely to get any type of harvest this year.

I wouldn't do the seven either. Not much point. Your hops will keep growing even if the critters keep at it.

Aphids shouldn't be too much of a problem this early in the season so I don't think that's your pest. I started going on a "snail hunt" at night with a flashlight and a bucket of soapy water. This was in Oregon where the things are thick. They would get onto my hops and chew them up. Felt good exterminating those things in my garden.

Best,

I never see snails around here and I'm not seeing any signs of aphids... but birds are a distinct possibility. I live in a rural area and I have peach trees, cherry trees, and blueberry bushes nearby. Needless to say, plenty of birds hang around my yard. I havent ever seen any on my arbor, but that seems like themist logical explanation. I may have to put up some owl decoys or something to scare them away. Thanks guys!

northcal said:
It's birds and snails. Snails eat half way through and then the growing tip dies off.

We had a thunderstorm roll through this afternoon, so I went out to check on my hops and sure enough... There was a big ol' snail sitting right under one the hop plants! You're a genius. Or a psychic. Or a witch who planted the snail there to throw me off of the witch trail... Hmmmmm.

Careful of the witches. Houses fall down around them, if it is the red stiletto variety.

Buy some organic slug bait at the local big box store.

Naw, I just dealt with a lot of snails before!

We had a thunderstorm roll through this afternoon, so I went out to check on my hops and sure enough... There was a big ol' snail sitting right under one the hop plants! You're a genius. Or a psychic. Or a witch who planted the snail there to throw me off of the witch trail... Hmmmmm.

Back