Cider kinda sour after 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick22

Reaction score
Hey, I started a batch of cider 3 weeks ago with store bought apple juice and I let it ferment dry and it sort of tastes dry.
No apple flavor whatsoever.

Will this make a turnaround so the flavour comes back out or can I backsweeten it?

Did you add sugar to the original juice? Give it some time to age and the apple flavor should come back around. You could back sweeten with some juice concentrate if you don't want to wait.

Did you add sugar to the original juice? Give it some time to age and the apple flavor should come back around. You could back sweeten with some juice concentrate if you don't want to wait.

Just a bit, 60 grams.. Was that a stupid thing to do? :confused:

How long is some time? I'm kind of impatient and these 3 weeks have been horrible waiting lol.

(60 grams) is only a couple US ounces sugar, so that shouldn't be an issue even in 1 gallon of juice. Usually if you go overboard with sugar it will tend to taste more like a dry white wine instead of apple cider.

We've ALL been impatient at some point. ;) Any home brewer that says they haven't is either lying or a monk. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to say exactly how long it will take. I'd say give it another week and try another taste. Ultimately it might need 3-4.

I'd say give it another week and try another taste. Ultimately it might need 3-4.

I agree. But after 3-4 more weeks, don't hesitate to backsweeten. I like using apple juice concentrate. It provides more apple flavor, as well as sweetness.

Also, remember that if you backsweeten, you need to kill off the yeast, or it won't be sweet for long... those little yeasties will go to town on that sugar.

Good luck!

Okay, thanks for your suggestions and sorry for being a bit of a ******* here, it's my first attempt at anything homebrew.

I'll avoid looking at it and try to occupy myself with something else lol.

Back