new to BIAB; basket question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm gonna get into BIAB, and from what I've read, I won't be sorry!

I ordered a basket to fit my 10 gal aluminum brew pot; here's the question:
Since I'm not going to be boiling in the basket, do I need to put an oxidation layer on it before its first use?

I'd hate to go through the process for the first time only to find out after the fact that I missed a step...

As always, Thanks and :mug:

If it is aluminum I would boil water to get the oxidation layer. It might not make much of a metallic flavor when not boiling, but I would not want any metallic flavor in my beer. So what is the use in not taking 30 minutes to oxidize.

Yeah, I love my steamer basket! Been BIABing in one for almost 3 years now and it makes great beers so easy. If my grain bill is less than 13.5 lbs it can fit in my basket and 10 gal pot. If I brew something bigger I don't use basket and just dump grains in bag. All you have to do is lift the basket when the mash is done and sparge with 1-2 gal of water to maximize efficiency. I get 75-80% efficiency consistently this way depending on the grain bill.

Yeah, I love my steamer basket! Been BIABing in one for almost 3 years now and it makes great beers so easy. If my grain bill is less than 13.5 lbs it can fit in my basket and 10 gal pot. If I brew something bigger I don't use basket and just dump grains in bag. All you have to do is lift the basket when the mash is done and sparge with 1-2 gal of water to maximize efficiency. I get 75-80% efficiency consistently this way depending on the grain bill.

When you say "sparge it with 1-2 gal of water" are you just resting the basket above the kettle (and outside the water, thus draining into the kettle) and pouring the water "through" the grains and into the kettle? Or are you adding the water to the whole mash and stirring?

I would say resting the basket on top of kettle. I do the same with a gallon of water at room temp. Alot of BIABers say it's not really needed though.
I do it to cool off the grains so I don't get burned while squezing the bag.

When you say "sparge it with 1-2 gal of water" are you just resting the basket above the kettle (and outside the water, thus draining into the kettle) and pouring the water "through" the grains and into the kettle? Or are you adding the water to the whole mash and stirring?

Yep, I lift my basket up and set it on a oven rack on top of kettle, fire up my burner and let her slowly drip. Then I sparge with 1.5-2 gal of room temperature water (I always mash in 6 gal regardless of grain bill) until I get to my pre-boil desired volume. Room temperature water has no effect on efficiency from my observations and a hell of lot easier on hands when you squeeze your bag at the end. This process has never failed me and in 3 years I dialed it to perfection. Just recently I purchased BIAB grain bag from one of the guys here on forum, it comes with a little block which is awesome and eliminates the need for oven rack. I get 70-80% efficiency this way depending on the grain bill. And its consistent, which is a lot more important for me to hit OG.
I tried full volume mash/no sparge BIAB, as well as mash-outs and heating sparge water to 170F, I also tried BIAB without a basket but I always come back to the process described above. It just too simple and easy to ignore.

I'm gonna get into BIAB, and from what I've read, I won't be sorry!

I ordered a basket to fit my 10 gal aluminum brew pot; here's the question:
Since I'm not going to be boiling in the basket, do I need to put an oxidation layer on it before its first use?

I'd hate to go through the process for the first time only to find out after the fact that I missed a step...

As always, Thanks and :mug:

If you don't want to waste the water, you can also put the basket in your oven (if it fits) and heat it up to 350° let it bake for 15 minutes and then shut your oven off leaving the basket in there until it cools.

If you don't want to waste the water, you can also put the basket in your oven (if it fits) and heat it up to 350° let it bake for 15 minutes and then shut your oven off leaving the basket in there until it cools.
This will also give an oxide layer? Did not know that...

Thx, B

Sorry, but I am just not a basket / strainer guy. I have never felt the need to use a basket for BIAB. Why?

I have no idea either. Seems like a great deal of work to make all of the holes larger. Every build I have seen involves drilling out the basket holes to allow water to flow. :confused:

Willum said:
I have no idea either. Seems like a great deal of work to make all of the holes larger. Every build I have seen involves drilling out the basket holes to allow water to flow. :confused:

My aluminum kettle came with a steamer basket with 1/2" diameter holes on all sides. No drilling required.

The basket does limit the size of the grain bill but makes it easy to pull the grain out of the water.

Due to the grain bill limit I plan to ditch my basket and buy a BIAB purposes bag in the near future.

Back