Liquid yeast vile expired yesterday_woe is me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewToHeugh

Reaction score
So I purchased a whitelabs liquid yeast vile a while back and havent had the chance to use it yet. To my suprise it expired yesterday... looked up their specs online and apparently I can still use it but it may take a day for the yeast to actually start. Not to mention the efficiency of the yeast going down. They recommended a yeast starter too but is it necessary? Does anyone have experience with a day or two old liquid yeast?

thanks

-the noob boss

So I purchased a whitelabs liquid yeast vile a while back and havent had the chance to use it yet. To my suprise it expired yesterday... looked up their specs online and apparently I can still use it but it may take a day for the yeast to actually start. Not to mention the efficiency of the yeast going down. They recommended a yeast starter too but is it necessary? Does anyone have experience with a day or two old liquid yeast?

thanks

-the noob boss

I have no experience with yeast but I'm sure not all cells will be dead from one day to the next. Most likely viability is determined as half-life so you should still have plenty of live cells. I'd recommend doing a small starter though, just because I'm a microbiologist :cross:

thanks

-the noob boss

Use MrMalty.com yeast pitch rate calculator. Put in the yeast manufacture date and make the recommended size starter. It is good practice.

I've used stuff that was a couple years old and it was fine. If 45 million year old yeast that was preserved in amber could be grown into a starter and beer made from it, really would you worry over a few months...or years?

I've done yeast that was at least 3 years old, maybe more since it wasn't dated and it was fine. It took some babying to grow it to a useful size, but it did work.

I don't know if you know the story of Charlie Papazian's yeast (White Labs "Cry Havoc") or not. He talked about it on basic brewing. The recipes in both Papazian's books, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Homebrewers Companion, were originally developed and brewed with this yeast. Papazian had "Cry Havoc" in his yeast stable since 1983.

He has used it nearly continuously since 83, sometimes pitching multiple batches on top of a cake, sometimes washing or not washing, etc. In a basic brewing podcast iirc last year he talked about how a batch of the yeast after a lot of uses picked up a wild mutation, and he noticed an off flavor in a couple batches.

Now most of us would prolly dump that yeast. Instead he washed it, slanted or jarred it (I can't recall which,)marked it, and cold stored it, and pretty much forgot about it for 10-15 years. He had plenty other slants of the yeast strain, so he left it alone.

Well evidently he came across that container of yeast, and for sh!ts and giggles made a beer with it. Evidently after all those years in storage, the wild or mutated yeast died out leaving behind a few viable cells of the "pure" culture, which he grew back into a pretty hardy strain...which iirc is the culture that White Labs actually used for their cry havoc...because of it's tenacity and survivability.

He's been using his yeast constantly for decades, in various strains.....

Yeast is hardier than you might think.

If you've made/are making a starter the age of the yeast is irrevelant- When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

He has used it nearly continuously since 83, sometimes pitching multiple batches on top of a cake, sometimes washing or not washing, etc. In a basic brewing podcast iirc last year he talked about how a batch of the yeast after a lot of uses picked up a wild mutation, and he noticed an off flavor in a couple batches.

The only problem of using yeast over and over again, apart from the mentioned contamination risk, is that you will eventually select for certain properties; it's natural evolution. It might take a while but it will happen. What I did instead is I grew a 1.5L culture from the purchased liquid yeast "stock", inoculated my actual started for brewing with 100mL of that, and let the rest stir for another day. I then put it in the fridge for 24+h for the yeast to settle. I decanted the wort and resuspended the yeast in fresh wort containing 10% glycerol. That went into 50mL conical tubes and into the freezer. I want to do this with all the different yest strains that I buy so I can save a lot of money and always have yeast at home. Only downside is that you will have to make a starter for sure!

If you've made/are making a starter the age of the yeast is irrevelant- When you make a starter, and grow it, you're replicating more yeast to make up for any loss. You're making new, fresh yeast.

the age is relevant for one thing: it will tell you how many live cells you have, and hence how much growth to expect from the starter. yeast grow exponentially, so the more you start with the more you will end with. you can indeed use a year-old yeast - but you'll need to step it up several times before you have a large enough population. don't want anyone thinking that a year-old pint jar of slurry can be pitched directly into a 5 gallon batch.

Back