All Grain American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikelush78

Reaction score
Hello guys,

New to all grain and want to make a nice easy drinking summer wheat beer. After looking at all the recipes I could find I came up with this one, Curious what you guys think or might suggest for changes...

This is for a 5 gallon batch...

I used BeerFormulator to make this, not sure if that is a good place to make recipes?

5 lbs Wheat Malt
4.5 lbs Pale Ale Malt
.5 Rice Hulls

Mash at 154 and sparge at 170?

.5 oz Cascade - Pellet AA 5.75% (60 Min)
.5 oz Centennial - Pellet AA 10.5 (15 min)

SG 1.050
FG 1.010
IBU 25.4
ABV 5.3%
Yeast: US-05
Fermentaion Temp: 70°F for 14 days? (Wheat beers usually are not supposed to go in secondary right?) or should it be in primary for 10 days?

Looks good to me although I'd use the centennial for bittering and the cascade late like 1 oz at 5 min (strictly personal preference here - I use centennial a lot, but for a single flavor/aroma addition not in combo with other hops I prefer cascade over centennial).

You don't need to secondary this. US-05 always seems to take a bit to clear for me so I'd go a little longer than 10 days (I also ferment a little cooler though).
:mug:

Looks pretty good. IMO an American Wheat needs more hops and a dry hop.

I make them frequently and usually shoot for 25-30 IBUs, 2-3 oz of late additions, and 2 oz dry hop.

Your OG and FG numbers are appropriate. You could mash lower and use 5% crystal or cara malt as well, but that's a preference thing.

I'd ferment at a lower temp. Mid 60's at the highest. Primary for 20-30 days and have the last 7 be a dry hop. Then package.

Back