Cold Crash Problem with Double IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_dub4t

Reaction score
I just brewed the Hop Hammer (double IPA) recipe from BCS. When I moved the beer into the carboy, cold break, proteins, etc began to drop out. After the heavy stuff dropped out, the liquid had stratified into two distinct layers. I had never seen that before and thought it might have something to do with the ridiculous amount of hop oils in the beer (calculated ~280 IBUs)? Fermentation mixed everything up and I didnt see this again.

After dry hopping (~8oz of pellets), I wanted to cold crash the beer. Last night I set my fridge to 38C (from 70C fermentation temp). This morning I looked at it and saw about one inch of liquid sitting on top of the beer. This liquid was much more clear than the rest of the beer. I have never seen this before. I will be kegging in a few days, and hoping that everything mixes back up in the process, but I definitely thought this was weird. Has anyone else seen this? Are these actually hop oils?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

aaaaaaaaand I'm an idiot.

Just in case this happens to some one, I figured that I would post what it actually was.

I used a blowoff tube. Sanitizer was sucked up the blowoff tube and sat on top of the beer. Really stupid.

I would ask if its still ok to consume, but I don't really care. I'm going to drink the hell out of it.

Pitched at 66C. Held it for 36 hours. Raised it over the week to 70C to ensure that the yeast finished out. Went from 1.080 to 1.010. Scary drinkable for 9% ABV.

This stuff is great. Highly recommend it for any hop heads out there. On my third pint already.

Sanitize some tin foil and put it over the top with a rubber band when you cold crash...I too have learned that lesson. I also raked under the starsan layer as well with no ill effects

j_dub4t said:
Last night I set my fridge to 38C (from 70C fermentation temp).

zachattack said:
You ferment at 70C?

Pitched at 66C. Held it for 36 hours. Raised it over the week to 70C to ensure that the yeast finished out.

You're not getting it - you keep saying Celcius when you clearly mean Fahrenheit. You did not pitch at 66C. You pitched at 66F. You didn't raise it to 70C, you raised it to 70F.

Back