Weird taste after forced carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMClark2210

Reaction score
Everything got a good wash down with the starsan cleaner so I doubt that contamination is the issue. They brew tasted awesome till this morning when I tried it yesterday and it has a weird kinda metallic bite to it. At first thought I was thinking I over carbonated it but it doesn't floam up really bad when poured or have an intense bubbling when being drank. Idk what the deal is but this in my first time using this method. Please help!

Is it a "prickly" feeling on the tongue with the taste? That would lead me to think its carbonic bite from being over carbed? How old is the beer? How long and at what PSI was it being carbed at?

Cheers

Same thing just happened to me. Acidic aftertaste. My beer lines are right (3/16" inner diamter and 10 feet long). Used 10 PSI for 6 days then put it on 26 PSI for 20 hours. I think I overshot the 2.0 L/L volumes of carbonation mark.

Maybe it's just barely overcarbed, and that's why it doesn't foam up or bubble that much?

Anyone else think so?

I sometimes get that while my beers are force carbing and shortly after. It always goes away after a week or so of aging (after force carbing is complete).

I'm starting to think that mine was undercarbed as well. The weird taste is there, but very little bubbling and just a regular amount of foam that disappears after a few minutes. Will set it back at 10PSI and leave it.

What style is it? Carbonation varies from style to style and also personal preference. Head retention has a lot more to do with glassware, handling and brewing process than just a psi and length of time. I would not use foam as a measurement for proper carbonation.

My style is a belgian wheat shocktop clone. i'm not that concerned about head retention, just the acidic aftertaste. the beer tastes good, except for that bad aftertaste.

when i did overcarb last time, there were tons of bubbles everywhere and glasses 1/2 foam. this time is seems like there are few bubbles but a bad aftertaste.

do you think it is just undercarbed and it needs to stay on the 10 PSI still?

Sounds like it could just be young beer to me. Kill the pressure, bleed the keg and repeat twice a day for a couple days and see how it comes along.

Hmmmm. Still confused.

FastAndy, are you saying you think it is overcarbed?

There are not enough bubbles occurring while drinking. There is 3 inches of head when pouring, yet it disappears very quickly into 1/2 inch of head. (Beer lines are 10 feet at 3/16" inner diameter, 39 F, 10 PSI).

I think it did get overcarbed. After 6 glasses, the liquid changed from not enough bubbles (offgassing) to too much.

This happened once before to me. Flat tasting (and acidic aftertaste) beer at first, then changes quickly to carbonated tasting (still acidic aftertaste) beer with bubbles like a fountain soda drink.

Back