new to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattywaters

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new to brewing... Very new... I'm looking for an easy to make simple wheat beer recipe. I have all the equipment just want some direction on how to proceed. Thank you in advance for the help everyone.

My suggestion is to get an extract kit and give it a go. Make sure you read all the directions first. Do you have a local brew shop? If so go there and talk to them. They will help you get started.

+1 Extract kit. The easiest way to start is with Hopped Malt Extract. Basically you open a can and add it to water. Then you add yeast and wait. It will produce decent beer and familiarize you with the process. Meanwhile, buy a good book and read this forum. It's great fun.

I've already done an extract brew, I was wanting an all grain recipe. Guess I should've specified that... Lol

Look up "Brew in a bag". IMO its a good next step on the way to going all grain.

You could also go with an all grain kit. Going with a proven takes out some of the variables while you refine your procedures.

If you want to save some money you can buy the ingredients separately. I often look at the kits on Northern Brewer's website. They list the recipe, I then make changes if I want and get a list of ingredients I would need.

Stick with extract for awhile. Refine your process and smaller things, such as fermentation temps and such. Once you're consistantly making good extract brew, invest in some good AG equipment and learn that part. Also, if you're looking for a good recipe book, then I recommend Zainashef's "Brewing Classic Styles."

I have the vice president of the local brew club that's going to help me with my first brew. I'll just look around for a simple recipe.

Back