What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Checked on my 60min clone today after about two weeks in bottles. This is what every bottle looks like. The material is on the bottle walls and floating around. I put a bottle in the fridge and it dropped all of it, but now I have a chill haze. Is this stuff just proteins, hops,, yeast, or infection? There seems to be a lot of it now at the bottom of the chilled bottle.

I have never seen this issue before and for the future how can I avoid this?

2013-05-27 17.19.25.jpg

If it is sticking to the bottle wall I would say yeast. However, without you pouring it into a glass and letting us see its hard to tell. But, my guess is you went to bottle too fast so the beer wasn't clear or you mixed up some trub when you racked it to the bottling bucket and you are seeing a mix of everything you said. I wouldn't worry about infection.

Most of the bottles from my Pumpking batch last fall looked like this...
They ended up droping after a month so i never really cared since im aging them till next winter.
Chalked it up as either to much protien or starch from the homemade pumpkin puree.

If it is sticking to the bottle wall I would say yeast. However, without you pouring it into a glass and letting us see its hard to tell. But, my guess is you went to bottle too fast so the beer wasn't clear or you mixed up some trub when you racked it to the bottling bucket and you are seeing a mix of everything you said. I wouldn't worry about infection.

Do you mean I tried bottling too fast after fermentation? I waited three weeks in the primary to bottle and the beer looked pretty clear, but I guess I can start waiting longer. The beer was mostly clear into the bottling bucket, although I did pick up a little trub, which then at least appeared to have settled to the bottom of the bucket.

I poured the chilled one last night and it tasted ok, no infection that I could really detect, just green beer. Lots of head, with big bubbles (big bubbles=bad?).
It did have about an 1/8-1/4" of "stuff" on the bottom. I poured that out in a separate container and it looks mostly like yeast, but that seems like a lot of yeast.

Sounds like yeast/trub dropping out in your bottles. Give those bottles 3 weeks to carb up and another week in the fridge. I suspect they will be just fine. Remember to leave that trub in the bottle when pouring yourself a glass.

What did you clean your bottles with? Maybe some kind of residue from that? Idk

Do you mean I tried bottling too fast after fermentation? I waited three weeks in the primary to bottle and the beer looked pretty clear, but I guess I can start waiting longer. The beer was mostly clear into the bottling bucket, although I did pick up a little trub, which then at least appeared to have settled to the bottom of the bucket.

I poured the chilled one last night and it tasted ok, no infection that I could really detect, just green beer. Lots of head, with big bubbles (big bubbles=bad?).
It did have about an 1/8-1/4" of "stuff" on the bottom. I poured that out in a separate container and it looks mostly like yeast, but that seems like a lot of yeast.

Three weeks should be ok, but unless you cold crashed it, it will still have a fair amount of particles floating around so you can give it a little longer or cold crash in the future before going to bottle if you want to minimize sedimentation. But, IME when stuff sticks to the sides, that is yeast. Proteins and the like drop.

Cool thanks for all the responses.

BTW I clean my bottles with water (rinsed when finished immediately, then sprayed with a bottle cleaner before bottling) and then star san to sanitize

from that picture alone, i would say everything looks healthy. my guess is a bit of yeast and hop particles.

An IPA that i made a few months ago had a similar appearance after a couple of weeks in the bottle. After a few weeks the floating sediments were mostly cleared and then after refrigeration they were mostly non existent. The sediment was apparent at the end of a pour, but nothing out of the ordinary, and the beer was great.

I have an altbier that went 5 days in primary, 12 in secondary, and was crystal clear going into the bottles 7 days ago. Now I see little light-colored particles floating on the beer in the neck. When shaken gently they sink to the bottom with the normal 1-2mm of sediment. I'm hoping the particles are just yeast doing their thing during carbonation and will settle out during this process or when refrigerated. Sound about right?

I have an altbier that went 5 days in primary, 12 in secondary, and was crystal clear going into the bottles 7 days ago. Now I see little light-colored particles floating on the beer in the neck. When shaken gently they sink to the bottom with the normal 1-2mm of sediment. I'm hoping the particles are just yeast doing their thing during carbonation and will settle out during this process or when refrigerated. Sound about right?

Stuff disappeared after a week, beer tastes great! Don't care what it was. :)

Just to give cpr to this thread. The particles in mine never went away while warm. In the fridge they sink, but a chill haze forms. If I let them sit for a while they tend to clear up pretty well. There is quite a bit of sediment on the bottom of these though.

Latest posts

Back