Mash Out in an Igloo Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan83865

Reaction score
I have struggled trying to calculate the amount of boiling water for a mash out. For those that use a round 10 gallon Igloo cooler as a mash tun, any suggestions on how many quarts of boiling water to add to raise the mash from 153 to 168 degrees, assuming 11# of grain and 13.75qts of water in the mash? In the past, I've done a similar recipe and used 8qts of boiling water, but my notes say that this only got the mash up to 162 degrees. This seems like quite a bit of water even when I try to take the thermal properties of the cooler into account. Thanks.

I use the sparge calculator at brew365.com. I can't remember if they give the strike temp for a mash-out though. I fly sparge with water at 175-180, which ends up a little cooler once it hits my mash tun. I'd be interested in recommendations from other HBT'ers too.

If you are batch sparging you do not need a mashout. Your sparge cam be drained pretty much immediately as all you are doing is rinsing the sugars off the grain particles. Your wort will be in the pot and heating before the mash profile has time to change.

Back