Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, not a carrot is safe in this house lemme tell ya lol... When we got Seamus he was 7 weeks old and was less than half the size of "Baby" (the black bunny you see there) who's been manhandled since he was small enough to fit inside my closed cupped hands to the degree that he's more like a dog than a bunny. Add to that being raised on a horse farm and Seamus is pretty cool around any animals, but he's a wicked treat thief...much to the dismay of the buns...

Haha, not a carrot is safe in this house lemme tell ya lol... When we got Seamus he was 7 weeks old and was less than half the size of "Baby" (the black bunny you see there) who's been manhandled since he was small enough to fit inside my closed cupped hands to the degree that he's more like a dog than a bunny. Add to that being raised on a horse farm and Seamus is pretty cool around any animals, but he's a wicked treat thief...much to the dismay of the buns...

"I am the scourge of leftovers everywhere...."

We had a house rabbit for a few years and she ruled our dog. She'd thump her foot and out 80 lb lab/shepherd would literally run and hide.

One of our buns (Baby, the black one) plays with Seamus, when the dog isn't paying enough attention to him he'll dig at him or poke him till he does, the other (Ronin, a jersey wooly) we got when he was a year or so old so he's not too keen on dog play, isn't afraid of him per se, but isn't really into hanging with him either. Baby is relentless though lol...

Sage, my 6 yr old Black Lab:

(First two photos are from last spring, age 5)

This is him at age 4 (or maybe 3...I don't remember)

dkwolf said:
Shiba's are awesome dogs! A cute little redhead a college roommate of mine wants to set me up with has one. Fun dogs.

But that demon growl of theirs....

My friends' dog 7 days after she brought him home... and immediately after about a 7 mile walk:

http://s689.photobucket.com/user/yungingr/media/DSC_0242.jpg.html

I don't want to seem like a party pooper, but tell your friend that 7 miles (for I'm assuming 9-10 week old pup) is WAY too much.

A good rule to go by is the pup can walk for 1 minute for every week it is old. At our training club, dogs are not even allowed on the field until they are 3 months old and even then, no jumping and no forced running for long periods.

Just something to be careful of for bone and joint development. She is a cutey

And I don't want to be a party pooper either but an Eskimo dog is built to run even at early age. Even though the dog is under three months it was just a walk. They are sled dogs a lot times. Seven miles is a warm up ...

If it were a smaller breed or lab / Shepard with potential hip/knee issues than I 100% agree

Here is our dog, Rio, proudly standing over his most recent gopher kill (pic was taken a few years back).

DSCF0038.jpg

I don't want to seem like a party pooper, but tell your friend that 7 miles (for I'm assuming 9-10 week old pup) is WAY too much.

A good rule to go by is the pup can walk for 1 minute for every week it is old. At our training club, dogs are not even allowed on the field until they are 3 months old and even then, no jumping and no forced running for long periods.

Just something to be careful of for bone and joint development. She is a cutey
Yeah, fully aware. In that group, there was myself and my then 3-yr old lab, my old roomate, his wife, and their then 4-yr old cocker spaniel, and their friend and her 9-week old Shiba. That dog actually got carried for much of the walk - he'd walk a little while, and then one of the girls would decide to carry him until he got restless, then he'd walk again.

dkwolf said:
Yeah, fully aware. In that group, there was myself and my then 3-yr old lab, my old roomate, his wife, and their then 4-yr old cocker spaniel, and their friend and her 9-week old Shiba. That dog actually got carried for much of the walk - he'd walk a little while, and then one of the girls would decide to carry him until he got restless, then he'd walk again.

Ok cool. Didn't want to seem like a ****** :)

I've got to see it all the time, so here is Reggie again in his usual sleeping pose:

image-3057084295.jpg

He's getting old and can't run with me anymore, but he can still sleep with the best of them.

Yea, and it's getting warmer already. I noticed they're starting to shift from the warmer spots to the cooler spots in the house. I follow them with a thermometer to figure out where to put my carboys.

liquiditynerd said:
Yea, and it's getting warmer already. I noticed they're starting to shift from the warmer spots to the cooler spots in the house. I follow them with a thermometer to figure out where to put my carboys.

You know you're a homebrewer when.....

liquiditynerd said:

That's very funny, and a great idea!

Take lots of pictures now. My Puppy was born on the first of the new year, and she grew so fast. It's like 7 weeks =8lbs, then 11 weeks= 16lbs, then 15 weeks=22lbs. I know it's hard having a puppy, but it's so worth it. Make sure to start training now so she gets used to learning "how to learn" They are so smart, labs are great all around dogs.

IMG_20130425_102355_995.jpg

mikescooling said:
Take lots of pictures now. My Puppy was born on the first of the new year, and she grew so fast. It's like 7 weeks =8lbs, then 11 weeks= 16lbs, then 15 weeks=22lbs. I know it's hard having a puppy, but it's so worth it. Make sure to start training now so she gets used to learning "how to learn" They are so smart, labs are great all around dogs.

Mazin how the years fly. 13 years ago he fit in both my hands, now he gets arthritis and allergy Meds.

My Papillon named Pappy, visiting my parents' house where he clearly gets a bit too comfortable... he was originally brought home by my dad nearly 8 years ago as a puppy while I was living away in another city in an on-campus residence (also how he got such a creative name, by my pothead little brother). When I moved back in with them for a little while about a year later, he (we) got very attached, and he just sorta became MY dog from then on, actually living with me now. He is very badly in need of a good haircut/grooming in both of these photos.
IMG_20130322_181218.jpg

This second one is included, despite all the blurriness, just to show how ridiculous his Dumbo (the elephant)-like ears are. Both photos were actually taken with my phone from above, behind a 2nd-story railing, especially since it's typically difficult to catch him chilling out so hard when up close.
rps20130503_023645.jpg

Papillons are among the smartest dog breeds, which can make for a very fun and entertaining time... as long as he feels like it! The remarkable intelligence can also make him a pain in the ass when he disagrees about what he should be doing, and he is very aware that he can extort (at the very minimum) a treat from you any time you actually want something specific from him.

At around 22lbs he's actually freakishly large for the breed - most dog shows actually disqualify papillons exceeding the maximum breed standard of only 8 to 10lbs (and friends of my parents own his brother and litter-mate, who was virtually the same size as a puppy/juvenile, and yet indeed wound up at just around 10lbs). Despite their usual overall daintiness and fine bone structure, the breed is surprisingly very athletic and is fairly widely considered the most "agile" dog breed second only to the border collie, usually justifying the distinction in the so-called agility competitions. But with Pappy's added size and musculature, he seems particularly ridiculous in this regard, making him pretty much impossible to "catch" (by neither dogr nor human) unless he wants to be, a fact that he appears to keenly aware of and apparently only serves to magnify the "little-dog-who-thinks-it's-a-big-dog" complex that is so common in papillons and certain other small breeds.

All this adds up to what is essentially a furball with the intelligence of a little kid, but with less of a reason for listening to any authority you think you have, greater mobility and the physical ability to outrun and outmaneuver you, and thus a greater affinity and propensity for getting into trouble! And yet he is absolutely my best buddy and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Papillons are among the smartest dog breeds, which can make for a very fun and entertaining time... as long as he feels like it! The remarkable intelligence can also make him a pain in the ass when he disagrees about what he should be doing, and he is very aware that he can extort (at the very minimum) a treat from you any time you actually want something specific from him.

All this adds up to what is essentially a furball with the intelligence of a little kid, but with less of a reason for listening to any authority you think you have, greater mobility and the physical ability to outrun and outmaneuver you, and thus a greater affinity and propensity for getting into trouble! And yet he is absolutely my best buddy and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

that sounds exactly like my dog, a nova scotia duck tolling retriever. i had a bottle-share party at my place a few weeks ago and the damn flea bag stole a little girl's stuffed animal and ran out the door. it took 6 adults about 3 minutes to catch her... she was running circles around us. i don't have a big backyard, either.

cirka-n-shoes.jpg

cirka-downwarddog.jpg

photo.JPG

that sounds exactly like my dog, a nova scotia duck tolling retriever. i had a bottle-share party at my place a few weeks ago and the damn flea bag stole a little girl's stuffed animal and ran out the door. it took 6 adults about 3 minutes to catch her... she was running circles around us. i don't have a big backyard, either.

There's something about her eyes, especially in the last picture, that somehow makes her look a little too intelligent for her own good :D

My two screwballs
Cooper is the Yellow Lab. Bear is the Black Lab (mostly) mix with the cone of shame :D

XQtYoZP.jpg

sweetcell said:

I love tollers, I've a chance to around a couple at a breeder's house that also raised flat-coats. They are very intense and energetic dogs from what I have observed. Supposedly awesome in the field as well.

yeah, very energetic. funny that you mention flat-coats - that's the other breed we were looking at. we just so happened to come across a breeder who had a litter of tollers ready so we went with that. love that damn dog, but she's a ton of trouble...

sweetcell said:
yeah, very energetic. funny that you mention flat-coats - that's the other breed we were looking at. we just so happened to come across a breeder who had a litter of tollers ready so we went with that. love that damn dog, but she's a ton of trouble...

We have a flat coat, she's 8 now and she's a wonderful dog. I posted a pic of her earlier in this thread. They are very eager to please and very trainable. I wouldn't trade Zoey for the world.

image-517666498.jpg

Back