Too much carbination???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian211

Reaction score
I just bottled my IPA with a cup of honey diluted with one cup water. That went into the bottling bucket first but I lost 1/2 gallon because my auto siphon stirred the trub with the last half gallon so I stopped. My question is will the half gallon loss be enough that will make my beer too carbonated? I ended up with 45 bottles.

I've never used honey before. That will take longer to finish carbing up than priming sugar. You will probably be fine but I'd store those bottles in a Rubbermaid just in case.

DSorenson said:
I've never used honey before. That will take longer to finish carbing up than priming sugar. You will probably be fine but I'd store those bottles in a Rubbermaid just in case.

I've used honey before. Two weeks was plenty. Thank you!

I'm still hoping its not. I used an ingredient kit that said use 1 cup. I'm hoping the worst case is a lot of head.

I decided to check about after one week. Fully carbonated. Three it all in the fridge to slow down carbonation. It's been 2 weeks since bottling and it it's still good. Only have about 3 bottles left. :)

Priming sugar doesn't even fully carb in one week. You definitely have 5 volumes of CO2, which has not fully carbonated, it has just carbonated a significant enough fraction to lead you to believe it's done. I had a honey cider that I intended to be a still cider. It was a still cider even after two weeks in the bottle. After a month there was a few bubbles. Then after 6 weeks they were so carbonated you'd have thought it was intentional. This is after 4 weeks in a primary at controlled temps. It ferment s out so slowly that my SG readings couldn't pick it up over 3 days.

The only reason you don't have over carbonated beer or bottle bombs is because you didn't let conditioning finish. That was super lucky. Glad it turned out.

Yea I knew I was lucky. Got a lot of head too after one week. Don't understand it. I know now to siphon first before adding priming sugar. Just want to thank everyone for their help and feedback. The home brewing community is pretty awesome. Everyone is willing to help each other out. I love it!

Back