old bottles of mead / shelflife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymclean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just came across 6 bottles of mead in my closet. I made them around November 2011, so I was wondering if they might still be good. They have been in a box out of the light, so hopefully that helped. Does mead age like wine or is it beyond aging at this point? Thanks in advance fo any input.

I just came across 6 bottles of mead in my closet. I made them around November 2011, so I was wondering if they might still be good. They have been in a box out of the light, so hopefully that helped. Does mead age like wine or is it beyond aging at this point? Thanks in advance fo any input.
2011 ? Bloody hell, that's like, really ancient............NOT:rolleyes::confused:

Seriously, no it'll be fine. There's anecdotal evidence that mead improves for 7 to 8 years.

The reason why its often suggested that bulk is better, is because it doesn't or won't suffer any temperature swing extremes that could happen when stored in bottles so you get consistent results when bottling......

I've got five bottles left from a fairly high gravity still mead that I bottled in late 1993. And it's fabulous. Only my very best friends get to share when I open a bottle. (happens about once a year at this point)

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it would be similar to wine with the aging, but I'm more of a a beer guy and wanted to get some expert opinions.

still good? they are probably just done.

smcvick said:
I've got five bottles left from a fairly high gravity still mead that I bottled in late 1993. And it's fabulous. Only my very best friends get to share when I open a bottle. (happens about once a year at this point)

I wish we were friends

I was stoked when I found a commercial bottle that was over 13 years old the other day. Tasted delicious.

Back