Turn cider into something.....else

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setesh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a cider because it sounded like fun and it turned out pretty decent. The problem is I don't really like it and neither does my wife. Everyone that comes over is more interested in the beers than the cider, so it's going to be in my keezer forever at this rate. I have been thinking on what I could do to change it from just plain cider into something I might like more. My only thought so far is to turn it into Graff hopped cider as per:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

Anybody have any other ideas? I hate to get rid of it, and I really don't want to bottle it and then store bottles of something I really don't want to drink.

Hopped cider is great, if you are more of a beer drinker this would be the way to go. Also you can throw some fruit into the keg and let it sit for awhile this will add a nice fruity flavor to the cider. You also can take some fruit juice concentrate and add a can or 2 to the keg and get an immediate flavor change. Just play with it there is so many possibilities.

Apple jack it!

Interesting! I had never heard of that before. I actually did that with a stout of mine that was just undrinkable as I had doubled the black patent on accident. It made a really good liqueur. I will give this a try with ~half a gallon and report back on Wednesday with the results.:D

Hopped cider is great, if you are more of a beer drinker this would be the way to go. Also you can throw some fruit into the keg and let it sit for awhile this will add a nice fruity flavor to the cider. You also can take some fruit juice concentrate and add a can or 2 to the keg and get an immediate flavor change. Just play with it there is so many possibilities.

As easy as it is to do this I might as well give it a try. Ive got a few pounds of DME and a bunch of hops so I might as well give it shot.

Setesh said:
As easy as it is to do this I might as well give it a try. Ive got a few pounds of DME and a bunch of hops so I might as well give it shot.

I wouldn't add any dme, it's not going to come out right. Just dry hop it for 6 weeks and go from there.

If you have any cascade or centennial try those the citrusy flavor lends well.

I wouldn't add any dme, it's not going to come out right. Just dry hop it for 6 weeks and go from there.

If you have any cascade or centennial try those the citrusy flavor lends well.

Even easier. Any reason why you recommend 6 weeks to dry hop? 5-7 days is normally ideal for beer. Is cider different?

Just going to lend more flavor is all, I suggest to just try it every week till it gets to where you like it.

Well, the Apple Jack didn't turn out so well. It is VERY sour. If you are into sour apple this is right up your alley. Oh well, it was worth a try. I will try dry hopping the rest and report back with those findings. I don't think I will get a chance tonight as I have to go out with family, but it should be soon.

Setesh said:
Well, the Apple Jack didn't turn out so well. It is VERY sour. If you are into sour apple this is right up your alley. Oh well, it was worth a try. I will try dry hopping the rest and report back with those findings. I don't think I will get a chance tonight as I have to go out with family, but it should be soon.

Sry you didn't like it, good luck with the next experiment.

Thanks for the input guys! It turns out that hopped cider is far superior to my taste buds than plain cider. I really like the new creation. After 6 days on cascade it's really good! I think I would like a little more so I'm going to add another ounce and let it go a bit longer and see what happens.:mug:

Back