Deducting Home Brew Expenses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaxGuy

Reaction score
Disclaimer - this is not meant to be accounting, tax or legal advice. Seek a qualified advisor before you make any decision regarding taxes and related items.

A homebrewer once asked me about deducting the cost of his equipment, supplies and ingredients on his tax return. His homebrewing activities generated a loss and would be used to offset some of his W-2 wage income earned from a full time job. Here were some of my thoughts during that conversation.

Generally speaking, you must engage in a trade or business before you can deduct any business expenses (IRC section 183). If your homebrewing does not constitute a trade or business or an activity engaged in for profit, deductions from related business expenses are generally limited to gross income from that business. In other words, if gross income from your brewing business is $1,000, your deductions are generally capped at $1,000.

In order to deduct expenses beyond the gross income generated by your homebrewing business, it must be an activity engaged in for profit. The courts look to a series of factors for purposes of determining whether or not an activity is engaged for profit. This is not intended to be an all-encompassing analysis of those factors, but they include items such as: 1) a history of profitability, 2) financial record keeping such as keeping a separate bank account for the activity, 3) the existence of a business plan and following through with that plan, 4) a review of profit and loss statements and changing future behavior based on that analysis, 5) successes in related ventures, 6) the existence of other means in which to finance the activity (i.e. other sources of income), and 7) the amount of personal enjoyment derived from that activity.

No single factor will establish whether or not an activity is a hobby vs. an activity engaged in for profit. A summation of all the factors (including those I didn't specifically list) will be taken into consideration when determining whether an activity is an activity engaged in for profit or a hobby.

Keep in mind that this does not mean that your brewing activities must be incorporated under State Law, or in the form of a Limited Liability Company, etc. in order to be an activity engaged in for profit. An activity engaged in for profit can be a sole proprietorship which is generally reported on Schedule C of Form 1040.

The challenge most homebrewers face is a lack of gross income. It is very hard to treat any activity that does not generate any income as an activity engaged in for profit. Most homebrewers do not have a brewing license and may not legally sell their beer. However, given the recent boom in homebrewing, it is possible that homebrewers could generate income from providing homebrewing educating, consulting and related personal services. This is a potential source of gross income, and depending on the facts and circumstances of this advising could constitute an activity engaged in for profit.

In summary, a homebrewer must consider many factors such as those listed above before concluding whether their homebrewing activities (i.e. consulting, educating, advising, etc.) rise to the threshold of a trade or business, or if it is simply a hobby. If it is anything less than an activity engaged in for profit, your deductions are generally limited to the gross income generated by that hobby.

EDITED TO ADD: I am only talking about a trade or business such as consulting, education and related services where permitted under local law. I am not suggesting that anyone illegally sell homebrew. That will get you into trouble.

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I must inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in or accompanying this document, unless otherwise specifically stated, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter that is contained in or accompanying this document.

I think you'd be very hard pressed to convince an IRS auditor or Tax Court (or District Court) judge that it is a business engaged in for profit if you do not have the requisite licenses to carry on that business.

If you do not have a business license to produce, sell or distribute beer, you will not be able to create a homebrewing business based solely on what you produce, distribute or sell.

However, do you need a license in order to provide educational, consulting or advisory services relating to homebrewing? While that depends on state and local law, but I would generally say these activities do not require a license.

Homebrewing by definition cannot generate income, which provides no prospect of profit, therefore nothing is deductible.

I would agree with this statement to the extent you are referring to producing, distributing or selling beer that you have produced. Since it is generally illegal to sell homebrew without the proper business licenses, etc., there is no prospect of profit.

However, an experienced homebrewer could certainly achieve profits by establishing a successful homebrew consulting business.

TaxGuy said:
If you do not have a business license to produce, sell or distribute beer, you will not be able to create a homebrewing business based solely on what you produce, distribute or sell.

However, do you need a license in order to provide educational, consulting or advisory services relating to homebrewing? While that depends on state and local law, but I would generally say these activities do not require a license.

Equipment is in your house? You use it to brew your own beer?

If you're not turning a profit, I think you are in for serious scrutiny by a field auditor and unlikely to convince an Appeals Officer. I'm not saying it cannot work but you better be ready to go the distance with it ($) and be prepared to accept the draconian penalties in the likely event that you lose.

Red flag. Would not proceed.

I deduct expenses from playing in a band, but I also get W-2'ed sometimes, so I figure that's gotta be acceptable. Of course, part of the expense of being in a band is.......beer! Hobbies are not deducible. OF course, I'm not an accountant, so I don't know sheet.

I think the point of the OP is if you were a "homebrew consultant" and you offered homebrewing classes in your garage with your home brewery then you could write off the expenses associated with the equipment and ingredients which you utilized for providing the classes....

Since it is illegal to sell homebrew, the idea of trying write off expenses is not going to fly with the IRS.

I love to play golf as another hobby, can I write of all the money I spend on that hobby? I don't have enough talent to make a lot of money at it. I could probably lose a lot of money at it. But at least that is legal endevour.

fpweeks said:
I think the point of the OP is if you were a "homebrew consultant" and you offered homebrewing classes in your garage with your home brewery then you could write off the expenses associated with the equipment and ingredients which you utilized for providing the classes....

But you have to actually do the classes and report the revenue.

Even then, if you are also using the equipment to make yourself beer, I think you are flirting with trouble. If your deducted expenses exceed your revenues, and you report a loss (therefore not hobby losses), then I would be surprised if your position were not rejected if questioned by the Service.

Just for the sake of conversation. I'm sure some sleezy lawyer could prove that your home brewing is making a profit by saving money from not buying beer. Say 50 dollars to make a beer x clone that would cost 500 to buy 5 gallons of. A 450 dollar profit without ever having to sell your home brew. Now to just find a lawyer sleezy enough to defend you against the IRS in court.

Setup a consulting service to teach/consult. Mix in teaching your normal profession, teach older people to use the scary internet, and some home brewing courses. That's that

MarshmallowBlue said:
Just for the sake of conversation. I'm sure some sleezy lawyer could prove that your home brewing is making a profit by saving money from not buying beer. Say 50 dollars to make a beer x clone that would cost 500 to buy 5 gallons of. A 450 dollar profit without ever having to sell your home brew. Now to just find a lawyer sleezy enough to defend you against the IRS in court.

That lawyer would get tagged with a frivolous position penalty by the Tax Court.

For the record, I am a "sleezy" tax lawyer.

Section 183 there are several factors.........in theory if you we're making an attempt to make a profit, the venture is illegal unless you are licensed. Illegal activities are taxable income.....but the expenses are not deductible for an illegal activity. Bottom line....it's illegal...any way you stack it, you don't win. You must remember the business....must be engaged in for a profit.....therefore....if there is a profit, Taxes go up...if there is no profit, it is a hobby loss. Hobby lose can be deducted up to expenses for that hobby as a misc itemized deduction on schedule a subject to a 2 percent agi limitation...but not to exceed income from that hobby........I wouldn't pursue this, it's a slippery slope and I don't have time to explain it. But it's a very bad idea and is borderline on being a very bad idea. No liscense no deduction.

As a web developer, I file self employment business expenses (schedule C) on my taxes every year. The IRS is *very* clear on what can and cannot be deducted. The fact that an activity saves you money/makes you money does not constitute it as a business.

You could argue that taking the bus to work would save money over buying gasoline, tires, oil, and insurance for a car. You still can't deduct those bus fares.

Deducting homebrewing expenses is just asking for an audit.

My question is can you expense ingredients and equipment if you use the products to entertain. For example, if you brew beer for an Octoberfest party where you talk potential business with potential customers. Similar to taking people out to dinner or for drinks. I assume that the 50% rule would apply, I.e., that you can claim only 50% of the expense.

-John

Again, a real slippery slope......you gonna keep adequate records?

This means my brew shed qualifies for the home office deduction! I'm going to resubmit my taxes for the past three years on account of this thread. I need to figure out how much electricity the fermentation fridge is using. I'm going to deduct gas and mileage from all the trips to the LHBS too. :drunk:

But you have to actually do the classes and report the revenue.

Even then, if you are also using the equipment to make yourself beer, I think you are flirting with trouble. If your deducted expenses exceed your revenues, and you report a loss (therefore not hobby losses), then I would be surprised if your position were not rejected if questioned by the Service.

I agree here. If your business is perpetually generating a loss, the IRS is going to declare it a "hobby" and not a "business."

Not to mention when you report a business loss on your taxes, your audit potential goes up and the amount of money a bank will lend you for a motagege goes down.

I do not suggest that people create sham businesses in order to write off their homebrew hobby. That isn't smart for obvious reasons.

The question I was posing is whether someone who is engaged in a legitimate (i.e. legal) consulting activity can deduct the related expenses. It seems to me that they would, but that they would have to keep adequate records to support that deduction.

Just going to throw out the obligatory Office Space reference about "white-collar prisons".

Since it is illegal to sell homebrew, the idea of trying write off expenses is not going to fly with the IRS.

I love to play golf as another hobby, can I write of all the money I spend on that hobby? I don't have enough talent to make a lot of money at it. I could probably lose a lot of money at it. But at least that is legal endevour.

I am not suggesting that you illegally sell home brew. Rather, it is possible to make money by offering homebrew classes, personalized consulting and related services. Those activities are generally legal depending on your state and local laws.

I don't think that golf analogy works here. Simply because you enjoy an activity doesn't mean that it becomes an activity engaged in for profit. I would never suggest a deduction based on what you said above.

However, say that you were a golf instructor and offered lessons to students, couples, etc for a fee. Wouldn't you think that some of the equipment used to provide these services would be deductible assuming it was an activity engaged in for profit?

As a web developer, I file self employment business expenses (schedule C) on my taxes every year. The IRS is *very* clear on what can and cannot be deducted. The fact that an activity saves you money/makes you money does not constitute it as a business.

You could argue that taking the bus to work would save money over buying gasoline, tires, oil, and insurance for a car. You still can't deduct those bus fares.

Deducting homebrewing expenses is just asking for an audit.

The fact that an activity is engaged in for profit determines whether or not the related expenses are deductible. If you are engaging in a brewing consulting business, why wouldn't you be able to deduct the ordinary and necessary expenditures for carrying on that trade or business?

I don't quite track your commuting analogy. Commuting is never deductible, even for a schedule C business.

Any losses generated on a Schedule C may raise the "red flag." However, if you are actually carrying on an activity engaged in for profit (i.e. consulting, education and service), why wouldn't your deductions be sustained in the event of an audit?

Again, I'm talking about a homebrew consulting business. I'm not talking about producing, distributing or selling beer which requires licenses, etc.

Section 183 there are several factors.........in theory if you we're making an attempt to make a profit, the venture is illegal unless you are licensed. Illegal activities are taxable income.....but the expenses are not deductible for an illegal activity. Bottom line....it's illegal...any way you stack it, you don't win. You must remember the business....must be engaged in for a profit.....therefore....if there is a profit, Taxes go up...if there is no profit, it is a hobby loss. Hobby lose can be deducted up to expenses for that hobby as a misc itemized deduction on schedule a subject to a 2 percent agi limitation...but not to exceed income from that hobby........I wouldn't pursue this, it's a slippery slope and I don't have time to explain it. But it's a very bad idea and is borderline on being a very bad idea. No liscense no deduction.

Illegally selling homebrew is a bad idea for many reasons. I'm not suggesting that anyone do this. I was posing a question regarding the deductibility of expenses associated with a consulting business engaged in for profit.

Well the original question stated ....start up this consulting to reduce my w2 wages.....tax avoidance?

TaxGuy said:
The fact that an activity is engaged in for profit determines whether or not the related expenses are deductible. If you are engaging in a brewing consulting business, why wouldn't you be able to deduct the ordinary and necessary expenditures for carrying on that trade or business?

I don't quite track your commuting analogy. Commuting is never deductible, even for a schedule C business.

Any losses generated on a Schedule C may raise the "red flag." However, if you are actually carrying on an activity engaged in for profit (i.e. consulting, education and service), why wouldn't your deductions be sustained in the event of an audit?

Again, I'm talking about a homebrew consulting business. I'm not talking about producing, distributing or selling beer which requires licenses, etc.

Theoretically, but if you also use the same equipment for personal use, then it becomes a bit sticky. Ask anyone who's ever tried to deduct a home office, or a personal vehicle also used in business activities.

In the OP you seemed to be suggesting that you could deduct your hobby expenses by offering some token "consulting services" (at least that's how it came off to me), and which is just asking for trouble. Even if you ran a full-scale homebrew shop, you couldn't just deduct all of your expenses that were strictly personal.

My question is can you expense ingredients and equipment if you use the products to entertain. For example, if you brew beer for an Octoberfest party where you talk potential business with potential customers. Similar to taking people out to dinner or for drinks. I assume that the 50% rule would apply, I.e., that you can claim only 50% of the expense.

-John

do you have a catering business and a license to serve alcohol at venues?

Theoretically, but if you also use the same equipment for personal use, then it becomes a bit sticky. Ask anyone who's ever tried to deduct a home office, or a personal vehicle also used in business activities.

In the OP you seemed to be suggesting that you could deduct your hobby expenses by offering some token "consulting services" (at least that's how it came off to me), and which is just asking for trouble. Even if you ran a full-scale homebrew shop, you couldn't just deduct all of your expenses that were strictly personal.

Regularly and exclusively for business is the name of the game.

Regularly and exclusively for business is the name of the game.

I agree with that. If something is used only for personal reasons, that would not be eligible for a deduction. The tricky part is drawing the line between business and personal with an activity like this.

Back