Help! Party in two weeks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patsfanjm

Reaction score
Having a party in two weeks. Have a 10 gal igloo mash tun w/ a bazooka screen. Cutting the top off a sanke tomorrow. Would like to do a 10 gal batch of a pale ale/ IPA.

On hand:
10 lb Munich
10 lb pale malt
1 lb light crystal
2 safe ale 05 packets
1 lb nugget
1 lb simcoe
1 lb Amarillo
1 lb cascade

Thoughts:
Might want to add some table sugar to dry out and add some gravity.
Worried about how much water I can fit into the tun. Don't want my temps off if it won't all fit
I have a kegging system and will force carb it the day before the party

Question:
Am I screwed?
Any suggestions?

10 gallons? You'll need more base malt (pale malt)-- say a good 10 lbs or so. Although I am not sure it'll all fit into mash tun with the 6 ga or what ever you will mash with....

Maybe do a five gallon batch?

If you do so, I might suggest:
5 ga batch
-10 lbs pale malt
-1/2 lb munich
-1/4 lb light crystal

mash at 150-155 (150 for drier, 155 for more body)

Bitter with nugget
do lots of late additions of simcoe, amarillo

(although I might also add, 2 weeks is really pushing it...)

Your beer is not going to be ready in two weeks, regardless of grain bill. You can drink it but it won't be it's full potential. If I brew for a party, I brew 2 months ahead.

rgarry said:
Your beer is not going to be ready in two weeks, regardless of grain bill. You can drink it but it won't be it's full potential. If I brew for a party, I brew 2 months ahead.

I have to agree. It'll be drinkable if you've got all your ducks in a row but, four weeks is about minimum IMO. Maybe spurge on a decent selection of beer, and invite them all back when you've had more time to plan. You want to impress them with an awesome beer, right?

You will be fine if you brew asap. I did a 10 day ipa( kettle to keg in 10 days) and it was damn good. I wouldn't use all 10 pounds of Munich. You might be better off just making 5 gallons.

I just did a Zombie Dust clone and reused a yeast cake. I think primary fermentation is done after 2 days so pitch a ton of yeast.

If you use Nottingham yeast it will be done in a couple of days and clear quickly

goodgodilovebeer said:
I have to agree. It'll be drinkable if you've got all your ducks in a row but, four weeks is about minimum IMO. Maybe spurge on a decent selection of beer, and invite them all back when you've had more time to plan. You want to impress them with an awesome beer, right?

+1 this is good advice. I would plan on at least a month to have a beer ready. You want this beer to represent what a good brewer you are. Part of that is knowing when a beer is ready to be drunk.

I would also add that I would get your sugars from the grain bill, and not by adding sugar. Just my opinion.

I will chime in to say that I have made many a tasty beer in two weeks. Would the beer be better at three or four weeks? Probably, but it will be good anyway. I also disagree with everyone saying that you can't make a good 10 gallon batch with these ingredients. Although I have never made a pale ale with 50% Munich, there is no reason that you can't. I regularly have 25% or more of my grain bill as munich. I think it gives a very nice malty backbone to the beer.

I don't think you 'can't' make a batch with all that Munich, I just don't know how APA/IPA esque it would be. But looking around, I was reading some reports of 30% Munich for IPA/APAs with good results. I wonder though, how well such a beer would condition in two weeks...

But hey why not try it and report back- could be interesting...

With a proper pitch rate and a healthy fermentation temperature this beer can be ready in 2 weeks using forced carb. I would shoot for around 5%. Good luck!

Two weeks? With a kegging system? You should be fine, but get moving. Also, 10 gallons is easily doable with what you have on hand.

Assuming a 70% efficiency, here is what I would probably brew:
1.045 OG
25 IBU

Amarillo American Bitter.
10# Pale Ale
8# Munich

1/2 oz Nugget (60)
1 oz. Amarillo (15)
1 oz. Amarillo (5)
2 oz. Amarillo (Flamout)

US-05 will work great for this recipe

It has been said - you can make a lighter ale and have it ready in 2 weeks, longer would probably be better. THAT IS - if you keg and can force carbonate. If not it will take about 8-10 days fermenting and another 2-3 weeks or more to carbonate in bottles.

I would shoot for something around 5% and would prob do a 5 gal batch. Pitch plenty of yeast, ferment at 68 and use Whirfloc.

I usually try to put my best foot forward with brewing. I take pride in what I do and I never rush a beer. That is not to be said that it can't be done. I love it when someone drinks it and says "wow, that is good". I plan everything, I know there is good and bad to that but I have on my calendar in June to start my cider for the holidays. I have watches beers age and see how much they improve with time. That is the beauty of this hobby, you do what you want and what you like and that is all that matters.

I wouldn't bother with the gelatin. It takes a day or two to clear when you use it anyway. Serve it in cloudy. If it's a big party it'll probably be in Red Solo Cups any way ;)

I wouldn't bother with the gelatin. It takes a day or two to clear when you use it anyway. Serve it in cloudy. If it's a big party it'll probably be in Red Solo Cups any way ;)
And if they ask why its cloudy, tell 'em its a wheat beer :ban:

Most won't know the diff anyways.

B

I usually try to put my best foot forward with brewing. I take pride in what I do and I never rush a beer. That is not to be said that it can't be done. I love it when someone drinks it and says "wow, that is good". I plan everything, I know there is good and bad to that but I have on my calendar in June to start my cider for the holidays. I have watches beers age and see how much they improve with time. That is the beauty of this hobby, you do what you want and what you like and that is all that matters.

I know what you are saying, and agree. But I might also argue that a good low ABV session IPA or bitter should be consumed fresh. I generally aim to have these tapped in about three weeks, and two weeks is not completely out of the question.

Warthaug said:

B

Exactly! That's why my 6 day old wheat did so well. Actually one pack of us 05 drove it from 1.059 to 1.009. Wow.

B

Or they'll ask you if it's a wheat beer anyway...people have told me certain beers I served reminded them of Boulevard Wheat...they weren't even close in flavor, just cloudy.

I routinely make Pale ales in 10-12 days, grain to glass. Are they going to win a contest? Maybe not, dunno, never entered them. But they always get drank, and I don't have college-aged binge-drinking buddies...these are 30-40-somethings, some affluent, some blue-collar, some self-proclaimed beer snobs, some busch-light drinkers. It's possible if you do it right.

Brew something in the 5% range, don't overcomplicate the grain bill, make a starter or pitch multiple packs of yeast, sanitize, pitch at proper temp, control the ferm temp, don't open/oxidize the beer until at least day 10 or so, then take gravity readings and taste your beer. If you keg, which you'd have to for this to be ready in time, give it 3 days in the keg minimum. I can have one ready in 2 days in keg, but it's easier to manage after 3.

I carb at 30PSI, 60 seconds of intermittent shaking (3 intervals of 10-15 seconds, then rest 5-10 seconds), leave it on 30 for 24 hours, then crank down to 6PSI, bleed keg, pour off first 4oz, then sample carb level. Generally it's not quite there yet, so I leave it at about 20ish for the next 24 hours. Even if it overcarbs, I just set serving to 6 or so and it's fine.

Why stress? Just go buy a keg and tell folks it's your attempt at a clone of beer X. Then put your feet up, have a frosty store-bought beer and take your time getting your setup correct before attempting to brew with that pressure hovering over you. Otherwise you are going to be freaking out for the next couple weeks. Life is too short for that kinda crap...

Just my 2cents :cool:

I do kinda agree that if you haven't even converted the keg to keggle yet, that's a lot of stress. Of course, I'm the type to try and work 8 hours straight on equipment just so I can stay up all night and brew with it once it's modified...so I can't wag my finger at that sort of approach. I'm kinda addicted to whatever is my current project.

well good luck last weekend i did 5 trips to 3 different stores got my mash tone built and brewed.

Back