Mayflower Summer Rye Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMass

Reaction score
Not everyone I know cares for the style, but I like the Mayflower Summer Rye. I'm trying to make something similar.

So far I have,

5# Pilsner
3# Wheat
2# Rye
T-58 Yeast

I'll use some of my hops I have grown from my freezer - likely Willamette, Halertaur or Sterling. I want to stay away from the Cascade on this with a more earthy hop to go with the T-58 yeast. My understanding is that Mayflower is only 3.5% alcohol, so this may be a little stronger.

My question is: I didn't buy any rice hulls. I'll use my 5 gallon cooler with false botton. Do you think I'll have any problems sparging? I also have a 10 gallon cooler with false bottom, but usually use that on larger beers.

At 50% huskless grains, you might have a problem, but many people don't. Have you made anything else with 50% wheat or rye (say a hefe)? How did that run off? Do you fly or batch sparge? If you fly sparge, just try running off really slow, especially at the beginning. A mashout might help as well.

I don't have all my information with me right now. I have done > 50% Wheat before but I'm sure I used rice hulls for that. I do fly sparge and go fairly slowly. I think that I might try to use my 10 gallon cooler. Even though the bed will be thinner, I think I'll be less likely to have a stuck sparge.

I fly sparge in a 10 gallon cooler with a false bottom, and the one time I brewed my hefe and forgot the rice hulls it still ran off OK. A little slow, but it didn't stick. You should be okay.

Back