Advice? Rye Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechMiller

Reaction score
I would like to get your input. I am new this year brewing and made a few really good Honey Chamomile Wheat BIAB.

I am wanting to make a Rye Brown Ale.

What do you think of this recipe?

Thanks!

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs --- Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 55.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz --- Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.0 %
1 lbs --- Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.3 %
12.0 oz --- Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
9.6 oz --- Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.6 %
8.0 oz --- Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.7 %
6.0 oz --- Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.5 %
1.57 oz --- Ahtanum [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 29.6 IBUs

That seems like a lot of crystal. I'd dial that back and use some brown malt in there. Not really versed on Special B, so not sure on that one. Rye percentages look good.

Definitely lower crystal to 8-10%, you will not taste 7% rye, need 18-20% for a noticeable amount, I'd do closer to 22-25%.

theres no need for carapils if you're already adding other crystal, plus rye has tons of protein and will give you plenty of head retention. i'd cut the C60 & Special B in half & double both ryes.

Thank you all! I might be putting this on hold in favor of a more traditional Brown.

But thanks for your input lots of good info!

Well actually the local Home Brew store is having a contest in November. Brew a unflavored brown ale, and then post fermentation add flavors. I believe that is post primary.

So I am planning a more standard brown ale with some dark brown sugar. Then going for something close to the Bananas Foster recipe that is on the site here. Doing all of the extras in the secondary.

Also you have to submit the unflavored and the flavored for the contest.

So, not just traditional ;-)

Back