How cold does a standard fridge get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm cold crashing for the first time and set my controller to 35 F and after 5 hours my stc controller is reading approx 42 degrees.

It's a standard Frididaire fridge and is on its lowest setting. Is it possible to wont get any lower? I have the probe in a mason jar filled with water. I also have a paint can heater in there.

Any ideas on what I should do? Run the fridge without the controller? Maybe a different setting on the controller?

I have an old fridge with no temp controller on it. I use a Johnson for fermenting. I just cold crashed for the first time and it only got down to about 43 overnight the first night (beer temp). It eventually got the beer down to 36, which is where it was when I bottled today.

Hmmm, I'm thinking the fridge must have a regulator that will shut off the compressor after so many minutes? Does sound right?

I just monitored it and it cooled down to 40 degrees and the compressor shut off even though there was still power going to the fridge.

After several minutes, the compressor kicked back on. Is this normal?

Ambient to 40 or beer temp to 40. The fridge may be cutting out because ambient hits 35 but beer temp is still 40. There is clearly a good deal of lag between cooling air and cooling beer.

The probe is in a mason jar with water. It's been 2.5 hours since my last post and its down to 39 degrees now.

I guess that's pretty cold and should help settle some stuff either way. I didn't realize it would this long to get down to my target temp with the compressor turning off so much.

That's weird. But on a lighter note, my sacks are dropping!

My dry hop sacks, that is...this should make racking to my bottling bucket a lot easier!

I put a probe in my wine fridge, and it stayed at about 41 degrees. I left it in there for about 1 1/2 days.

Back