Infected Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo2000

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a Saison in the fermenter from April 28 - didn't have any bubbles for a while so I checked it on May 2nd and it smelled sulfery and looked like this:

Left it alone and now, 5 days later, it looks like this:

It doesn't smell bad... just kinda like a Belgian and it's down to 1.015. Does this look like trouble? Should I try it or will I wind up in the hospital?

It looks fine, but 1.015 is a little high for a Saison. What yeast did you use? Is it extract or all grain? What temp are you fermenting it at?

It's a Brewers Best kit. It was a partial mash, used Danstar Belle Saison yeast and I fermented at around 72. Also, I forgot to mention that a couple days before the first pic I had taken a peak (since there hadn't been any bubbles) and there was krausen so I quickly closed it. After that it cleared up and then a few days later the top funked up again.

That was my first gravity reading so it may still drop.

It just looks like it's off gassing some co2. Has the temp warmed up a little recently? If so it will off gas a lot and make foam or tiny bubbles on the surface. I'd leave it another few days and then test gravity again. If it's still the same then you can package it up.

You have to step away from the fermenter... Let the yeast do it's job. It has only been a week.

Belle Saison is great yeast and will finish up low. Just give it time to work.

You need to learn patience. Once fermentation starts, it will finish if you leave it alone. I have done about 120 brews and have never had one not finish. Just give them time and the yeast will do what it has been doing for thousands of years.

Yea, seriously, it's just a bit of foam from CO2. That's beer being beer. Anyway, chill out and let it work- your beer should finish lower than that. Maybe warm it up some.

Back