I think this is would work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillybilly

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon rubbermaid round cooler that was left over from a former construction project so no cost to me why can't I simply put a Paint strainer bag right in cooler and use it as MLT no expensive false bottom or bazook screen I have a stainless steel that will work I don't make high gravity beers

I see no reason why that would not work. If you brew in a bag, you would not need the cooler. The "paint strainer" would act as a false bottom IMO

But the cooler gives you better insulation for a stable mash temp than just mashing in your boil kettle. Plus it frees up your boil kettle for sparge water so you can now do a sparge rather than a full-volume mash BIAB.

But the cooler gives you better insulation for a stable mash temp than just mashing in your boil kettle. Plus it frees up your boil kettle for sparge water so you can now do a sparge rather than a full-volume mash BIAB.

I do exactly this with a 2 gallon beverage cooler for small batches. It's pretty nice actually.

You can also add a ball valve to the larger beverage cooler later and still use the BIAB bag. I know a few people that do that, and they love it.

Back