fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
hello all,
its been a great time here and brewing 6 batches since i started a few months ago.. all have really come out nice. by average, i have seen fermentation slow down and stop by day 4-5 and zero activity by 6. I came across a extract kit called wildflower wheat. the store told me he and his father came up with it and it was a killer summer style beer. people love it. I am now on day 12 and the fermentation is still swirling around.
why. :rockin:

Why? Well, each fermentation is different.

But for specifics, temperature could be one reason. Maybe it's cooler this week? Or, maybe you used honey this time, which is low in nutrients? Or maybe a liquid yeast strain with no starter, while last time you used dry yeast (which has more yeast cells)?

The length of fermentation really doesn't matter, but pitching the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature and keeping the beer at the proper fermentation temperature does matter. If you've done those things, then the yeast will do their job just fine!

Not all beers are created equal my friend, there are a ton of factors that going into fermentation (temperature, amount of yeast, age of yeast, amount of fermentables left in the wort just to name a small fraction).

Not to mention, what do you mean by "the fermentation is still swirling around"? Is the airlock still bubbling? Has the krausen fallen, etc?

the airlock is bubbling, the krausen hasn't fallen and i did use honey!! i know i know, its just a new experience and thought to ask.
once again, i find answers here. thank guys! lb
:eek:

Back