is it worth aging my belgian at this point

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercules1

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian a few weeks ago, the keezer was dry and just want to get something on it. I kegged the beer after 3 weeks in primary, it's drinkable, but still young. I managed to get a couple beers brewed that have quick turn arounds so we have stuff on tap. Wit, cream, pale ale.

I was thinking of moving the rest of the belgian into bottles and aging it for a while now. My question is, is it pointless to bottle and age the belgian. is it the yeast that continues to work over the aging process to clean up/charactorize the beer and if so, wouldn't it be pretty yeastless in the bottles if i'm moving it from a cold keg to bottles...

aging is new to me so hopefully ya'll can help

You can certainly bottle it up and age it. If its a stronger belgian, it should age really well. The yeast impart their flavor during fermentation and bulk conditioning. Many beers improve with cellaring, including those that have been filtered. Conditioning allows the flavors to mellow, blend and change over time. Hops and spices tend to fade out and the maltiness usually becomes more interesting, with enhanced flavors of fruit and woodiness.

If you plan on aging your beer, it is imperative to do so without oxygen. Flushing the bottles with CO2 and capping on foam is very important. There is a sticky on here that shows how you can do it simply with a picnic tap, racking cane and drilled stopper.

Also remember that there is a limit to how long you can age something. Bigger beers tend to be better for longer but once the batch gets past its prime, its time to dump it. Taste a bottle every so often and see how it changes. Once you really like it, drink them up.

Latest posts

Back