Very Dry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
So I made this wheat recipe:

6 lb White Wheat
4 Lb 2 Row
5 oz Honey Malt

Magnum and Citra Hops.

Mashed at 152 for 60 min.

O.G. 1.050 F.G. 1.013

At the first tasting it is really pretty dry. Not like face puckering dry, but more so than I would like. My mash temp may have dropped a few degrees on one side of the tun, but other than that I don't really have an explanation. Any ideas to why it is so dry?

Wheat can be smaller and not get milled as well/fall through instead of getting crushed, are you sure it's not huskiness you're tasting? That FG is not dry at all, my wheat I brewed last month finished at 1.006. Did you hit your target OG or was it low?

I'd say the OG was about 4 points low. Boiled for 80 min to bring it back up. I am still dialing in my efficiency, I may have had Beersmith dialed up a bit high. Also I sparged with 180 degree water... but the entire mash never got above 168. Also, this is after a week of fermentation.

After thinking about it some more, it may have to do with my water chemistry.

I would try leaving it in the fridge for a month, cold conditioning can fix some huskiness and yeast bite that can cause that flavor. How long has it been in the bottles?

I just noticed the hops are really high alpha, especially for a wheat, what were the times of the additions and quantities?

I just checked the gravity after a week to see how it was coming along. So it was only a week since I brewed it. Just had a question since I wasn't sure that's a flavor you can "fix". I FWH .5 oz of magnum and added .5 oz of citra at flame out. Thanks for all of your help!

What kind of yeast did you use? 1.013 does not sound like it would be dry in terms of attenuation. Similarly to fizig my last wheat (Belgian wit) also finished at 1.006 and it does not taste dry to me.

After a week of fermentation I don't even judge my brews for taste, they never end up tasting like that in the end. Give it two weeks and it will be very different.

Way too green, give us an update after 3 weeks in the bottle at 70 degrees and 2+ days in the fridge.

+1 to which yeast did you use? Also, did you do a starter and what was the temperature profile of the ferment. This can make a bigger difference than your grain bill...

The main reason for the taste was because the WLP320 was throwing some crazy sulfur/disgusting aromas during fermentation. Mostly checking to make sure I wasn't growing a batch of bacteria. Made a 1.5L starter and fermented at 65 (not ambient) with a temperature controlled fermentor.

BreezyBrew said:
The main reason for the taste was because the WLP320 was throwing some crazy sulfur/disgusting aromas during fermentation. Mostly checking to make sure I wasn't growing a batch of bacteria. Made a 1.5L starter and fermented at 65 (not ambient) with a temperature controlled fermentor.

Sounds solid there. Hopefully a few weeks of aging will bring it around...

Latest posts

Back