Newbie's Simcoe/Citra IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So i'm about to begin my 3rd batch of all-grain and I've decided to use Simcoe as my bittering hop and then use citra all the way through. Estimated OG should be 1.0733 and IBU's (according to the calculator) are 57.25.

Here's the recipe:

Malt Bill
11.2 lbs 2 row
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs Munich malt
0.5 lbs Honey (Just in case my efficiency is low!)

Hops
0.65 oz Simcoe (60 mins)
1 oz Citra (20 mins)
1 oz Citra (5 mins)
1 oz Citra ( 1 mins- flameout)
1.5 oz Citra (dry hop)

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks!

I'd probably go with something more neutral for the bittering addition. I usually use Magnum. I'd put the Simcoe somewhere later in the boil. I've found that Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo don't work very well as bittering hops. The flavors change when they're boiled for long periods of time.

Thanks Cadilla. The only other hops I have at the moment are centennial and chinook. I've used chinook as the bittering hop in the past three AG brews, so I wanted to try something different, but if the simcoe might not work, maybe I'll just stick with chinook. As for the biscuit malt, would it be better to use that instead of munich?

chinaBIGREDbrewer said:
Thanks again! Just one last question! Would a centennial (bittering) and citra combo work ok?

I'd go with Centennial before I used Simcoe for sure. I'd probably still use the Simcoe in there for aroma and flavor to get a little depth and variation.

Thanks again! Just one last question! Would a centennial (bittering) and citra combo work ok?

Simcoe, centennial and citra can all be used as a bittering hops. I routinly use simcoe as a bittering hop in a few of my ales, but i also have a few where my first bittering charge comes at 30 min. Im a little kooky that way

I'd move the 20 minute addition to 15 minutes and jack up the 60 a bit more. From my point of view, 57 IBUs seems a bit low for an IPA. I like the honey. I have been really enjoying my IPAs dry lately; so a half pound or so of sugar at the end works for me.

I respectfully disagree, keep the IBUs at 57.

I've never used simcoe for bittering, but it does go well with citra. But centennial for bittering, then simcoe and citra later in the boil sounds really good to me. And citra dry-hop is a great thing.

Back