Newbie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
I am brewing a banana wine. The OG was 1.112. On the hydrometer it said 14% potential alcohol. I fermented for 13 days in primary bucket and racked into carboy. The SG now is .990. (Almost completely submerged my hydrometer)
Doing the math (OG - SG)•131 = ABV. I came up with 15.9% ABV. Is it normal for the actual ABV to not equal the potential ABV or did I do something wrong?

Also, still being new at this, I accidentally sucked up some of the lees while racking. Im guessing approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup worth. Is this going to change the flavor any?

Welcome to the forum!!!

When I look at 1.112 on my hydrometer it lines up closer to 14.8 ACV. I want to say the 'potential' is based off of a FG of 1.000, so if your must finishes lower than 1.000 than obviously you will have a higher approximate ACV. Also, make sure your readings are adjusted for the calibration temp of your hydrometer.

If your hydrometer calibration is at 60F this is a great tool to quickly determine potential/final ACV.... http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm

You have two kinds of lees: gross lees (the pulp, seeds) can contribute off flavors, kind of as the name implies 'oooh gross!' is how I think about it; and then the FINE lees (web search for definition/photos of gross vs fine lees) do not usually cause immense concern, in an immediate sense at least. Check out 'sur lie and bâtonnage' technique working with fine lees.
Also, some yeast are known to contribute off flavors where the lees are concerned too. But, you will rack a few more times over the next few months, as the must clears & drops more fine lees each time. You will get quite skilled at racking.

What are you making, what yeast and what size is the batch?

Welcome to the forum!!!

When I look at 1.112 on my hydrometer it lines up closer to 14.8 ACV. I want to say the 'potential' is based off of a FG of 1.000, so if your must finishes lower than 1.000 than obviously you will have a higher approximate ACV. Also, make sure your readings are adjusted for the calibration temp of your hydrometer.

If your hydrometer calibration is at 60F this is a great tool to quickly determine potential/final ACV.... http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm

You have two kinds of lees: gross lees (the pulp, seeds) can contribute off flavors, kind of as the name implies 'oooh gross!' is how I think about it; and then the FINE lees (web search for definition/photos of gross vs fine lees) do not usually cause immense concern, in an immediate sense at least. Check out 'sur lie and bâtonnage' technique working with fine lees.
Also, some yeast are known to contribute off flavors where the lees are concerned too. But, you will rack a few more times over the next few months, as the must clears & drops more fine lees each time. You will get quite skilled at racking.

What are you making, what yeast and what size is the batch?

Thank you so much. Your knowledge is appreciated. It is a 6 gallon batch of banana wine and the yeast is Red Star Champagne.

Here is the recipe if you're interested.
http://www.celebrationgeneration.com/blog/2011/10/13/how-to-make-homemade-banana-wine/

Very well written recipe, notes and photos. In the photo in the link is a carboy with a good amount of sediment, which I would classify as gross lees simply due to the 'large' amount of sediment build up. A classic example of you want to rack before that much sediment builds up. Too much of the fine sediment can simply be too much. I have some gorgeous banana wine and mead bulk aging. Have fun!!

Back