category entry question for Brett raspberry beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyp11

Reaction score
i brewed a beer using all Brett c, and racked it onto 1 lb/gal raspberries. it essentially is a farmhouse type grain bill, and minimal noble hops. i have entered it into a local comp under 16e Belgian specialty with underlying base beer as saison. the raspberry and Brett characters are prominent, so it doesn't have much saison-ish stuff going on anymore, but i think that category allows for the specialty ingredients to kind of overtake the base beer qualities anyway. what do you guys think?

I don't think there is any reason to enter beers like this in BJCP comps. It's a crapshoot with the format.

I'm really just trying to get some feedback on the beers, with the possibility of placing. but that feedback will be skewed if it's miscategorized.

Just tell them it's a new style "farmhouse fruit beer" and then give the description you typed above. Absolutely worth entering, good luck.

Just tell them it's a new style "farmhouse fruit beer" and then give the description you typed above. Absolutely worth entering, good luck.

You can't enter beers in BJCP competitions like that - you must enter it into an existing category. OP, I think Belgian Specialty is likely the best category for this beer.

Pappers_ said:
You can't enter beers in BJCP competitions like that - you must enter it into an existing category. OP, I think Belgian Specialty is likely the best category for this beer.

LOL, Belgian Specialty is what I was talking about. You have the option to create a new style that doesn't exist. So yes, you can enter BJCP competitions like that...

From BJCP for 16 E:

Comments: This is a catch-all category for any Belgian-style beer not fitting any other Belgian style category. The category can be used for clones of specific beers (e.g., Orval, La Chouffe); to produce a beer fitting a broader style that doesn't have its own category; or to create an artisanal or experimental beer of the brewer's own choosing (e.g., strong Belgian golden ale with spices, something unique). Creativity is the only limit in brewing but the entrants must identify what is special about their entry.

LOL, Belgian Specialty is what I was talking about. You have the option to create a new style that doesn't exist. So yes, you can enter BJCP competitions like that...

Glad we agree that Belgian Specialty is the correct style category, but that's not what you wrote in your first response the OP and that's why I responded. If that's what you meant, I didn't understand that.

For what its worth, the way you are using 'style' is not the way the BJCP uses the word, in my experience. In BJCP parlance, the style is Belgian Specialty and the brewer needs to identify the base beer and the specialty ingredients.

Glad we agree that Belgian Specialty is the correct style category, but that's not what you wrote in your first response the OP and that's why I responded. If that's what you meant, I didn't understand that.

For what its worth, the way you are using 'style' is not the way the BJCP uses the word, in my experience. In BJCP parlance, the style is Belgian Specialty and the brewer needs to identify the base beer and the specialty ingredients.

Ok I responded to this yesterday and now my post is gone? Interesting...

Here it is again.

In the BJCP "parlance" for 16 E:

The judges must understand the brewer’s intent in order to properly judge an entry in this category. THE BREWER MUST SPECIFY EITHER THE BEER BEING CLONED, THE NEW STYLE BEING PRODUCED OR THE SPECIAL INGREDIENTS OR PROCESSES USED. Additional background information on the style and/or beer may be provided to judges to assist in the judging, including style parameters or detailed descriptions of the beer. Beers fitting other Belgian categories should not be entered in this category.

So yes I am using the word 'style' correctly. Please ease up on the condescension in the future.

Ok I responded to this yesterday and now my post is gone? Interesting...

Here it is again.

In the BJCP "parlance" for 16 E:

The judges must understand the brewer’s intent in order to properly judge an entry in this category. THE BREWER MUST SPECIFY EITHER THE BEER BEING CLONED, THE NEW STYLE BEING PRODUCED OR THE SPECIAL INGREDIENTS OR PROCESSES USED. Additional background information on the style and/or beer may be provided to judges to assist in the judging, including style parameters or detailed descriptions of the beer. Beers fitting other Belgian categories should not be entered in this category.

So yes I am using the word 'style' correctly. Please ease up on the condescension in the future.

The style name for 16E is Belgian Specialty Ale. That is how it has to be entered. Further information can be added as shown in your excerpt. "Farmhouse Fruit Beer would be part of that further info.

The style name for 16E is Belgian Specialty Ale. That is how it has to be entered. Further information can be added as shown in your excerpt. "Farmhouse Fruit Beer would be part of that further info.

You mean further information like the new style being produced??

I get that you guys are "buddies" or whatever, but telling me to ease up in a PM is uncalled for.

Between the comments here, post deletions, the BMW thread, and PM's this board will not be getting another cent from me.

Ridiculous.

I get that you guys are "buddies" or whatever, but telling me to ease up in a PM is uncalled for.

Between the comments here, post deletions, the BMW thread, and PM's this board will not be getting another cent from me.

Ridiculous.

Fitting name :rolleyes:

As for the OP, I think your question was actually answered before others on here decided to cry for the wambulance. 16E is likely what you're going for, and just list the yeast you used and any special ingredients (i.e. fruit) you'd like for the judges to pick up on in the aroma and taste.

Ridiculous.

Enough. If you can not be happy here, then we completely understand. Our rules are for the good of the forum, and being argumentative and disrespectul is simply not good for our forum.

The reason you got a PM is so that you aren't called out in public. Since you object to doing this privately, there isn't any other recourse.

You don't have to agree with anybody, but you do have to be respectful. That's all that is required. You don't even have to respond if you don't like someone- but if you do post in our forum we expect you to be courteous.

How about you take a little break for 2 days, and see if you want to come back and "play nice"? Thanks!

As an update: this beer took second place in the Belgian specialty category. Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

Back