Dry hops. Does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrewer

Reaction score
So I dry hopped for the first time....my LHBS recommended 2 oz ofwhole leaf (which I've never used before) and when I asked about bagging with a weight he said, "Nah if you're using a bucket just toss them in." So that's what I did. I let it sit for 7 days and opened my bucket and saw this....I didn't expect them to "sink" but I had expected more absorption. Does this look typical or should I have gone the bag route? Cheers.

943455_10101725576871973_1708180218_n.jpg

I would think the hops would need to be in contact with the beer for the oils to be extracted, maybe the hops on the top did not do anything for your brew???

I would think the hops would need to be in contact with the beer for the oils to be extracted, maybe the hops on the top did not do anything for your brew???

That's what I was thinking. I picked up a few from the top and they were semi-damp but who knows. I'm not that worried, it tastes fine and at works I guess I wasted an ounce of hops?

I'm more concerned about getting the technique down correctly so I can do it better next time.

A lot of people bag them and weigh down the bag with a sanitized stainless steel ball bearing or marble. It's a good way to make sure all of your hops get down in the beer.

I DO put my whole hops in a bag in my bucket because I loathe getting stuck siphons, and on top of that I'll actually crush the hops up a little in their original packaging prior to putting into the hop bag. Additionally, I used a sanitized spoon to push the bag under several times to ensure good beer-hop contact for the duration. An added benefit is that I'm able to pull the bag out before transferring and squeeze the extra beer out (if I'm so inclined).

Any reason they recommended whole hops? I like pellets personally, I think they're easier to deal with.

Any reason they recommended whole hops? I like pellets personally, I think they're easier to deal with.

I have no idea...when he recommended whole leaf I mentioned I was hesitant to use them as they seem to be messy and absorb a lot of liquid. He mentioned that was part of the process, can't be avoided or something a long those lines. I walked in with the mindset that I was going to be dry hopping with a bag of pellets and walked out with 2 ounces of whole leaf with the instructions of just "throwing them in."

As it was my first attempt at dry hopping I guess I just took his answers at face value and went along with it.

Oh and these were a pain in the ass to siphon around by the way. On the plus side at least I didn't lose a lot of beer to absorption and since I used a large amount of late addition during the brewing process I still have quite a straight hop profile.

Next time I'll be bagging though.

I made a citra IPA one time and I dry hopped with whole cones and it looked just like that. I too feel like I wasted hops but it was still a good beer. I also prefer dry hopping with pellets because they break up and get into the beer. If I ever dh with whole cones again I'm going to bag them or maybe crush them up and make sure they make their way into the brew.

I tend to use whole leaf for dryhopping (in a grainbag with sanitized marbles). I didn't care for the pellets because even though they dissolve and you get great utilization, they don't settle very well. Without a cold crash I can never get dryhop pellets to settle out so with whole leaf at least I know I'm not sucking up floating chunks (even if they are chunks of goodness).

I used a section of a nylon stocking for my most recent dry hop with pellets (in a keg) and there are almost no hop floaties in the finished beer and plenty of aroma. I think the nylons are even cheaper than paint strainers and definitely filter better.

Whole hops really are useless, I have a whole bag in my freezer, no clue what do with them.......But I never throw away anything.........

Whole hops really are useless, I have a whole bag in my freezer, no clue what do with them.......But I never throw away anything.........

Hops are one of the four main ingredients in beer - you could try making beer with them :D

Edit: I've got pounds and pounds in my freezer and that's what I do with mine

Went to W&L but raised a UVA fan. We've seen better football days. Hope springs eternal.

Ahh. VT grad myself. W&L is a very good school (as is UVA obviously). I'm not from VA so I didn't grow up with the VT/UVA rivalry so aside from a sporting rivalry I don't really have much "hate" for UVA haha.

Hey Tech is a great school too, sports are where the rivalry begins and ends for me. I have, of course, a lot of friends and family who went to VT and in general I like VT people better than most UVA people. Hokies tend to be far less snooty and I know snooty, I went to W&L for chrissakes. But sports are sports and I'm for the blue & orange for better or for worse.

Hey Tech is a great school too, sports are where the rivalry begins and ends for me. I have, of course, a lot of friends and family who went to VT and in general I like VT people better than most UVA people. Hokies tend to be far less snooty and I know snooty, I went to W&L for chrissakes. But sports are sports and I'm for the blue & orange for better or for worse.

I hear ya. I try not to be critical of UVA but you're right, most of their fans act like VT are a bunch of country bumpkins and treat VT like a community college. Funny thing is most of the ones acting like intellectuals never went to UVA in the first place!

You guys are killing it in recruiting BTW. London can't coach a lick on gameday but he sure can recruit. VT is the exact opposite!

Yeah, we're finally pulling some of those guys from the Tidewater area that was VT's bread & butter the last couple decades. And you're right about the coaching, I'm still trying to get over last year's UVA-VT game. Ridiculous.

Back