Variables

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin P.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been looking for a good TG Pseudo Sue clone recipe, and it's really hard to track how slight variations in brewing, ingredients, etc. can affect the final output. Do you know of any good sources that have a somewhat concise list of things like:
  • To increase IBU, do X.
  • To change the mouth feel, do Y.
  • To increase/decrease haze, do Z.
For example, I read a post that said the mash temp should be lowered to 148 rather than 152. Well, why? For a beginner like me, I don't understand all of these variables, and when I try to find the "why," it's usually some complicated chemistry--which is great, but I just want it dumbed down. I hope this makes sense.

Also, if you have a great Pseudo Sue close recipe, I'd really appreciate it! ;)

I have another example: letting the wort cool to 180 before adding hops, rather than immediately after the boil. Apparently, it's because the oils of the hops will do X, Y, and Z. Again, that's great, but how will that affect the output?

For example, I read a post that said the mash temp should be lowered to 148 rather than 152. Well, why? For a beginner like me, I don't understand all of these variables, and when I try to find the "why," it's usually some complicated chemistry--which is great, but I just want it dumbed down. I hope this makes sense.

Also, if you have a great Pseudo Sue close recipe, I'd really appreciate it! ;)

Brewing beer is a science so unfortunately alot of the answers are going to be scientific. If you want something answered more simply you can just ask for a more simple answer.

As for your question as to why you would mash at 148 instead of 152 in simplest terms it gives the yeast more sugar to eat. The lower the mash temp the more fermentable sugars the yeast have to eat, the higher the mash temp the less fermentable sugars there are for the yeast to eat.

this will also give you a sense of your final gravity. Generally speaking the lower the final gravity the dryer and crisper your beer will be. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always looking to learn as well.

Back