Secondary question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caustin

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I am currently brewing the succulent strawberry blonde from the recipe section. I was planning on moving it off of the yeast cake either tonight or tomorrow, but I realized that the only fermentors I open is my bottling bucket and a 5 gallon better bottle, which I don't think is big enough for the 5 gallons of beer plus the strawberries. should I be fine leaving it in my bottling bucket for a week, with the top from the main fermentor on it, Should I move the beer to either of the two fermentors, clean the main one, and rack it back, or should I just put the strawberries on top of the beer without moving it. I trust your collective wisdom way more than my own. Thanks guys!

You 5 gallon should be good. Don't transfer the bottom part with the yeast and trub when going to secondary. Don't rack back and forth too much.

You 5 gallon should be good. Don't transfer the bottom part with the yeast and trub when going to secondary. Don't rack back and forth too much.

I realize that I don't want to rack too much, but there was just a post in the recipe thread with somebody saying it was a good thing they used the 6.5 gallon carboy because the 8 pounds of strawberries took up a lot of space. So I'm not very certain whether or not it will fit in that carboy, but I have the 6.5 bucket with a spigot. I'm just not sure if it's safe to store it with the spigot for a week before it gets moved into the keg. If I was smarter I would have used the carboy as the primary and my regular bucket as my secondary. :smack:

I realize that I don't want to rack too much, but there was just a post in the recipe thread with somebody saying it was a good thing they used the 6.5 gallon carboy because the 8 pounds of strawberries took up a lot of space. So I'm not very certain whether or not it will fit in that carboy, but I have the 6.5 bucket with a spigot. I'm just not sure if it's safe to store it with the spigot for a week before it gets moved into the keg. If I was smarter I would have used the carboy as the primary and my regular bucket as my secondary. :smack:

Bottling bucket should be fine. Just tighten up the spigot so no leaks.

Back