Can i sanitize a few weeks before filling keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofy810

Reaction score
So I have the 14.5 gal blickman conical fermenter and was thinking to save sanitizer I could drain it from the conical to my kegs then pressure empty the sanitizer with co2 and leave the keg empty till kegging time aprox 2 weeks I plan to close system filly keg through the out post using co2 to push from the fermenter. I am new to home brew any help is great thanks.

First off welcome to homebrewing. What type/brand of sanitizer are you using? Oh and "new to home brew" and you own a Blickmann 14.5 conical... bravo!

First off welcome to homebrewing. What type/brand of sanitizer are you using? Oh and "new to home brew" and you own a Blickmann 14.5 conical... bravo!

Using star San

We fallow buy it once policy so went with the best same for the boilermaker pots and burner

Theoretically, nothing is going to grow in a starsan'd, pressurized keg. In practice, I always chose to flush the keg with sanitizer prior to filling. You don't need to make up a huge batch of starsan for a keg. A quart or 2 will do just fine. Shake it up to get all the surfaces and then push the liquid out with CO2.

wilserbrewer said:
Get a spray bottle w/ starsan and wet the inside prior to filling the conical.

The minute spent is worth the time IMO.

This! I always clean my kegs after use, then a quick star San blast of the interior and quick soak of the posts poppets and o rings prior to filling and I'm in business.

Go with your plan, but use a hand sprayer to cover the interior prior to filling

My fear with sanitizing well in advance is the one that I DON'T do. For me, best to store things clean, then sanitize right before use.

My fear with sanitizing well in advance is the one that I DON'T do. For me, best to store things clean, then sanitize right before use.

+1. A really good practice to follow for any stuff that's going to come in contact with post-boil wort/beer is - clean after use, sanitize before use.

I always do what the OP is talking about on my kegs and never have seen a problem, as long as the keg still has press when you are ready to keg what could get in.. the biggest thing I usually have to remember to do is dump out the little bit of water left in the bottom after the foam has settled before I fill.

I always do what the OP is talking about on my kegs and never have seen a problem, as long as the keg still has press when you are ready to keg what could get in.. the biggest thing I usually have to remember to do is dump out the little bit of water left in the bottom after the foam has settled before I fill.

If your sanitizing with Starsan I wouldn't worry about dumping that little bit of water as it will have no impact!

Back