Leaving blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
How long do you leave a blow off tube hocked up and do you use it during secondary to? Thanks for he help

You can leave your blowoff tube on until you transfer to secondary (if doing so) or you can replace with an airlock when bubbling has subsided greatly. It's your call.

As for blowoff tube on secondary, not necessary unless you plan on adding fruit or other sugars that yeast love to feast on.

You can leave your blowoff tube on until you transfer to secondary (if doing so) or you can replace with an airlock when bubbling has subsided greatly. It's your call.

As for blowoff tube on secondary, not necessary unless you plan on adding fruit or other sugars that yeast love to feast on.

I have my tube in milk jug with water. Will you see it bubble in the jug?

Yes you will see it it'll look like foam at first then bubble like crazy.... I leave it in till my first hydro sample (3 weeks) then replaced with standard setup. I don't secondary but if you add more fermentabels you'll still need it, better safe than sorry

Brew2 said:
I have my tube in milk jug with water. Will you see it bubble in the jug?

See it and hopefully hear it. If you are unsure, simply leave it be for two weeks and then switch over to air lock.

Back