Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
So I am using a blow off tube for the first time. J brewed today and pitched yeast about 3hours ago. I know that it could take up to 24 hours for fermentation to start. But will I see any bubbles in the over flow bottle? What should I look for in my carboy to know that it is fermenting?

You should see bubbles in the blowoff vessel. If vigorous, it may even purr.

Back away from the carboy and let it do it's thing. 99% of the time it will be fermenting all on it's own with no action on your part. All kidding aside, it will bubble just like an airlock, and stuff will float up and down in the carboy like any regular fermentation. Really though, RDWHAHB. :mug:

reverendj1 said:
Back away from the carboy and let it do it's thing. 99% of the time it will be fermenting all on it's own with no action on your part. All kidding aside, it will bubble just like an airlock, and stuff will float up and down in the carboy like any regular fermentation. Really though, RDWHAHB. :mug:

Roger that.

The reverend is right on. Your receptacle filled with sanitizer will act just like the barrel of an airlock. Though there is a normal delay of a second or two from carboy to receptacle gurgle, which I think is pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back