Early Summer Rhizome Transplant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knacker74

Reaction score
Hey all.

Has anyone tried digging up rhizomes and transplanting during the summer months?

I have some hops that need to be moved for a new fence, and the construction will be quite invasive.

I obviously wouldn't be expecting any harvest, but my expectations would be for a good head start for next year. Would there be buds starting so one knows where to chop? Any real negative to doing this?

I have heard about fall transplants but I am assuming that is only so one can harvest existing growth.

Thank you.

I have not yet done this, but I will be doing it. I stupidly planted two plants near a black walnut tree last year. One, a Nugget, died this spring. The other, a Fuggle, is clinging to life. My plan is to dig it up and put it in a large container, at least for the time being. I wanted to do it today, but it's been raining.

Ok, so there was a break in the rain and I went out and completed the transplant. We'll see how it goes.

UOoJRZu.jpg

This thing was just as weak as it could be. The main bine had grown about 4', but it was very thin. The small bines were about as fine as kite string.

v8WBred.jpg

I mixed up some Mel's mix (1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite) and unwrapped the bines from the support trellis. I then dug up the crown as carefully as I could and transplanted it in to the container and carefully wrapped the main bine back on to the trellis. I have not watered at this point. We are supposed to get some pretty big thunderstorms this afternoon. If they do not develop then I will go out and water it. There is a fine mist coming down right now.

Back