Steamer basket lined with a cheese cloth for a hop bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc77

Reaction score
As I was scrolling through google looking for a 60 quart stainless steel stock pot to upgrade my brew ware (found one I think I'll buy for $100 shipped) I found a steamer basket. This basket fit a 60 quart stock pot and it made me wonder if I couldn't set up something to hold the steamer basket in the wort, line the steamer basket with cheese cloth and then just drop my hops in there.

I know some people have made their own but I don't know if the steamer basket would cause too much blockage of the hops or what. But I'm thinking there wouldn't be any limitations on the amount of hops that could be added to the boil using the steamer.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the minor hijack, but I'm also in the market for some 60 qt stainless pots. Cheapest I've found so far is $116 plus shipping. Do you mind sharing where you found yours?

In return, here's my thoughts on your original question. I don't see why it wouldn't work. However, I'd look for a fine mesh nylon bag instead of the cheese cloth. It wouldn't absorb any wort and would handle pellet hops better. You'd also have a ready-made BIAB setup if you don't already have a mash tun.

Sure, no problem. Without putting links in here go to the amazon's and do a search for "Concord 60 quart stainless steel" and it'll be on that page. They say there are only 5 left but who knows. It's $89 used and $13 and change shipped. So it saves you $12 to $13.

I did some searching around here and found threads on Concord pots and everyone seems to have rave reviews about them. Good luck and enjoy. I'm hoping I can buy a pot here before they all run out myself.

Back