carboy alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky7slw

Reaction score
I live in a small condo and trying to figure out a way to ferment multiple beers in small spaces. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with something like these or something like these. Thanks everyone

ForumRunner_20130507_194917.png

ForumRunner_20130507_194926.png

They work perfectly, they're popular for the "No-Chill" brewers, because you can dump boiling hot wort right in them, seal them up and let them cool on their own forming a vacuum. Then you can either rack to another fermenter, or just pitch yeast and swap out the lid for one with an airlock.

Nothing's really "difficult to clean" anymore with hot water and oxyclean. Just fill, let the bubbling action work it's magic overnight and rinse the hell out of it. A Jet bottle washer works best...

Anything goes for a fermenter really, as longs as the recycle codes are <1> and <2> just look for what fits in your space.

These are a couple popular alternafermenters talked about on here all the time.

Aquatainers available at most big box stores- Very popular with no-chill brewers, since they can take boiling wort and can vacuum seal as it cools, but can be used as a regular fermenter as well..

aquatainer.jpg

And vittles vaults from pet stores.

pPETS-3759027t400.jpg

43409.jpg

TuffTank22.jpg

A few places are carrying <2> 3 gallon water jugs, especially with the BPA bans over the years water jug manufacturers are going with hdpe and pete jugs these days

3_gallon_yahoo_gif.gif

Plastic Jerry cans that are meant to hold water can be used,

kleinkanistersammel.jpg

Collapsable water jugs work too.

5_gallon_collapsible_water_carrier_350.jpg

Walk through any big box store and look at storage containers and water containers and you'll find plenty. Then get a rubber grommet, put a hole in it and attah an airlock.

Us plastics is a great source as well.

I use buckets and have cut small pieces (12" or so) 4"x4" wood blocks. I lay them across the top of the bucket and it gives me room for the airlock. I can put 3-4 stocked on top. Could likely have 10 in a closet without a problem.

I use SS 6 gal bayou pots.

I can stack 2 in a mini fridge, they fit in the sink to clean. I have also expanded the pressure release hole to about 2 inches dia so i can do gravity checks without moving or taking lid off.

Back