My $15 hop spider (for my keggle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So..... I love stainless... but I also love my wife. And she may or may not have me on a budget that precludes more stainless purchases.

I had planned to buy parts for a DIY hop spider using a 4" PVC coupler, 4 x threaded metal rods, nuts to hold the rods, and a dryer vent hose clamp to hold a nylon mesh bag. I went through several evolutions, including a 6" pvc version... all before reaching the check-out counter. In the end, I found an almost-all-plastic solution which I think answers the mail. I use a keggle for my boil kettle, so my design is really for that configuration.

In the end, I went with this:

1x 4" PVC coupler ($2.50) Item #: 23284
4x AMERICAN VALVE 4-in Plastic Wire Tubing Hook ($1.00ea) Item #: 298089
1x 4.5-In Metal Worm Gear Clamp for Dryer Vent ($1.60) Item #: 433261
1x Oatey 4 fl oz LO-VOC PVC Cement ($3.70) Item #: 23464
1x Bag - 9 in. x 12 in. Fine Mesh (Hop Bag) ($4.75 from MoreBeer)

Total $16.55 (So I realize I said $15 but I'm counting the pvc cement and mesh bag....guessing most people either already have these or can get them without buying them new. I actually had cement so I just included it in the list for people that don't. Either way... it's pretty cheap.

This wasn't brain surgery and I think the pictures explain what I did, but if for some reason the pictures don't work, here is the process I followed.

1) "69" a pair of the hooks on the pvc coupler so they point in opposite directions
2) Mark the overlapping ends (about 3.5") on both sides of each end.
3) Cut off the extra. Note, it is cut on an angle, almost parallel to the candy-cane handle.
4) Do the same with the other pair.
5) Test-fit them. Even with it cut-off, they should still be able to hold onto the pvc coupler without cement.
6) Using the cement, attach one of the pairs at the upper end of the coupler and the other pair about 1/2" from the lower end.
7) You may need to clamp them to hold them tight to the coupler, but the cement sets really quick so I'd think 10-15 mins is plenty of time. Also, this stuff has all kinds of warnings about fumes so you probably want to do the gluing outdoors.
8) Measure and cut off the lower legs so they fit down within the handles of the keg, on top of the lip of the keggle opening. The top pair of legs just sit on top of the handles/top level of the keg.
9) Attach the nylon bag to the coupler on that extra 1/2" we left sticking down under the lower pair of legs.
10) Wrap the spider 'legs' with some tinfoil so they don't melt on the keggle (Adding this idea because I haven't actually tried it out yet and I'm not sure on the plastic resistance to boiling temps--I'll update when I brew next week, if they start to melt.)

thumb2_p4070064-59355.jpg

thumb2_p4070065-59356.jpg

thumb2_p4070066-59357.jpg

thumb2_p4070067-59358.jpg

thumb2_p4070068-59359.jpg

thumb2_p4070069-59360.jpg

thumb2_p4070070-59361.jpg

I was just thinking of something you might try is a something just a lil bigger like 4x2 bell reducer then get a 4 in riser clamp that might work.

same as yours from your picture....and when it warped...clamp came loose and dropped right into the boil

I built my stainless one for $30

Sorry to hijack this thread, but could we also get build details for your stainless spider? Maybe offer both low cost options to the masses and let the drooling savages out there decide on which materials work best for them. Also, NewBrewB, please report back on how well the PVC one functioned on brew day, I'd sure love to find out.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but could we also get build details for your stainless spider? Maybe offer both low cost options to the masses and let the drooling savages out there decide on which materials work best for them. Also, NewBrewB, please report back on how well the PVC one functioned on brew day, I'd sure love to find out.

Stainless steel sink flange - $15
3 eye bolts with nuts - $5
clamp - $5
paint strainer bag - $5
Got everything at homedepot

been using it for 2 years now...love it

hop spider.JPG

Just an update. I used my design yesterday and it worked great. I was afraid of the pvc warping and the bag faling off into the brew but it did just fine.

I will say that I cranked down the clamp pretty tight and this was a relatively small boil (9gal in a 15gal keggle).

I got a 4" stainless steel biscuit cutter on Amazon for about 8 bucks. Bought my stainless hose clamp, nuts, bolts, and threaded rod locally so paid a little more.

Back